Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got the HEI installed into the 1975 with 2F. It is a unit originally designed for a Camaro with the inline 6, it came out of a friend's FJ60 who pulled it when it was switched to TBI.

Generally the cruiser is now running very smoothly but I have some questions about timing it.

1) I reset the gap in the plugs to .45 to compensate for the higher spark.

2) The curve on the HEI has NOT been reset to compensate for the 2F's curve. I have a link to this web site which I've found interesting but haven't found a whole lot of 2F relevant information. http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/distcurve.html

3) The HEI has an aftermarket Accel coil mounted to the top of it. So concievably it should 'knock the socks off the cruiser compared to even an OEM electronic ignition system I would think. But it doesn't seem to be much better than the '79 elect distributor and mini truck coil / ignitor (basically an FJ60 system) that I was running before. I've heard myths of the HEI "allowing you to climb hills in 3rd you couldn't before" and so on and so forth, compared to even the FJ60 ignition.

4) I set the timing to 9 degrees BTDC with the vaccuum advance removed and the truck idling at around 700 which seemed most logical to me. Up here they say time it slightly advanced because of the altitude. This is discussed in this thread. So I wonder if I made the right decision or it I should time perhaps more retarded. Is there a chance the HEI would emit a spark "faster" that the OEM system.

After it's been installed it fires right up (not that it was even removely a problem with the '79 ignition) but idles lower and smoothly. It also generally revs better and smoother. But when cold, it acts like I might have it too far advance and will mildly sputter and misfire I think from firing too early. It also seem to have lost a little power in the cruising range. Going up a mild hill I had a little trouble accelerating due to lack of power.

Any advice?

·
Banned
471 Posts
HEI problems

Hey Andre,
Whats up? Hey I just did the exact swap last Friday and I also
rebuilt the carb. It ran GREAT for a couple of days but the guy
started noticing that when cold, very bad throttle response,
like you could give it gas and it would try and die then pick up
and go. After a few minutes of diag, I find a leak in the intake
manifold in the typical "over the exhaust manifold" spot and
also through the deflector sheild bushings in the exh. manifold.
This carb was jetted really bad from the beginning, so I had to change that. But you are O.K. on the timing @ 9 deg. leave that for now i would think.
But check for any slight vacuum leaks

Kruzrtek

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey Rich,
Thanks for the advice and glad to see you on the board here... I though you were Chris Alfonso for a second there, you both live in Springville.

On another note, more for Kurt and Bennett, I managed to keep the dual battery setup in place even with the HEI. Was a tight fit, I should have snapped a pic, I'll maybe tomorrow. I run this box from SOR as per previous owner, see it at http://www.sor.com/sor/cat335.tam?xax=12432&page.ctx=cat335.tam

But it was so tight that I had to remove the top piece and now the Optimas are double zip tied in until I figure out a stronger solution. Here's a before pic:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
dieselcruiserhead said:
But it doesn't seem to be much better than the '79 elect distributor and mini truck coil / ignitor (basically an FJ60 system) that I was running before. I've heard myths of the HEI "allowing you to climb hills in 3rd you couldn't before" and so on and so forth, compared to even the FJ60 ignition.

Any advice?

Yes, it is a myth. High voltage ignition does nothing for performance by itself. Where they do have a role is in high performance engines. The air/fuel charge, compression and spark plug gap determine the voltage of the spark. With a supercharged or turbocharged high compression engine you need a high voltage to reliably ignite the charge. With a 2F you don't ever encounter a situation where you need a higher than "normal" voltage.

Generally the HEI is very reliable and should be equivalent to the stock Toyota electronic ignition on a 2F. You might try adjusting the timing to the point where it starts pinging under full load and then back it off a couple of degrees. This is usually the optimum. If it still doesn't run well, there may be something wrong with the HEI, so just change back to the Toyota ignition.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Andre... where ya been?

Did you get those springs on yet?

Last couple saturdays I hung out at trents while they did the two scout PS conversions. :rasta:

·
Registered
173 Posts
just went through the same thing about 2 wks ago. from what i understand, the stock (gm)vac advance unit may be advancing too much for the 2F. i ended up getting the crane cams adjustable vac advance, which comes with variable tension springs. when i first installed the setup, the motor would ping mid throttle if i quickly pushed down on the gas. thinking i had too much advance, i dialed down the vac advance about 8 degrees from the fully open position. this didn't really help, so i figured that the centrifugal advance was the place to start. after lots of fawking around with the setup, i ended up putting a blue (heavy) and a yellow (light) springs for the centrifugal advance, disconnected the vac advance and drove around. no pinging. then i reconnected the vac line and tested. it pinged a bit, so i dialed it back again. seems to be running stronger than the stock setup i had but the vac advance wasn't working right on the toyota.
I haven't noticed that it runs poorly in the cold, though. i can recommend the adjustable vac advance, so that you can dial it in to suit you. ($30 at NAPA) BTW i'm at 9 BTDC at idle too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
old distributor

Hey andre,
did you ever get those springs ribuilt and/or on. i wondered how they would turn out. when you get your HEI figuired out let me know what you are going to do with your old distributor. my rig is going to be on blocks all summer long (may to september) and i might be interested in swapping those tires agian. let me know if you are interested. i have pics of the tires too. i am also way interested in how you HEI works out. i spotted one when i was at the pick and pull last week. take it easy man.

jared

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jared, nice to hear from you. Sorry can't reply direct because I don't have your email address. At this point like I said the HEI seems to be a little smoother reving and both run and make the truck start great. I am thinking because I actually do want some water fording ability (I plan on a snorkel, etc some day and also someday hope to take the rig up to Alaska), I am thinking that I probably want to go back to the Toyota ignition, I didn't realize that in the end the HEI and the Toyota electronic would be so similar. Also the 1979 distributor I have is also very water proof and if installed right can probably run underwater versus the HEI, which will do well with water but not submersion. So your call, I'm still very interested in the tires and can probably come up with whatever else you might need to make the trade a little more even (I have a fairly new 9MM pistol for example :D) and / or perhaps some other stuff. So your call, I'm about to bite the bullet on some 35s shortly anyways so let me know. [email protected] ;)

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, haven't installed the springs yet. Possibly shortly unless I go SOA (if it's doable before CM03!). Also, email over those picts :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts