Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's hear some spec's on your rigs. As a base of reference, let's measure height at the center of the door opening from ground to bottom of rocker panel (or at least where it used to be :flipoff2: ). Also indicate what amount, if any, of body lift, tire size and width from WMS to WMS. Also comment on whether you think your current setup feels too "tippy", etc.

Right now, I'm SOA on 2" springs and I'm starting to second guess whether or not it's too tall for my current axle width.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,192 Posts
It would be better to use your actual track measurement to take into account for funky offsets.:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old Scout said:
It would be better to use your actual track measurement to take into account for funky offsets.:flipoff2:
I would agree. Right now I'm SOA on stock width housings, but with the chevy/ford/dodge outer combo, it puts me at about 63" or so in front. Stock 44 in the rear. 2" springs and about 2" longer shackles with repositioned shackle mounts and 36" SX's w/ 3" BS wheels. I would like to go D60 or 14 bolt in the rear to stretch that to about 62", but I will probably wait until I frag the rear D44. Were there any cars that used a 60 SF anywhere near 62"? I read the D60 SF recipe thread but was just wondering if there was a factory app to save a little $$$. Also, I found a rear 60 FF in an older Ford p/u but it has 16 spline shafts. Since I would be putting a Detroit in the rear, is there any reason that this housing would not be compatible with a new 35 or 40 spline carrier?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
TORC said:
Let's hear some spec's on your rigs. As a base of reference, let's measure height at the center of the door opening from ground to bottom of rocker panel (or at least where it used to be :flipoff2: ). Also indicate what amount, if any, of body lift, tire size and width from WMS to WMS. Also comment on whether you think your current setup feels too "tippy", etc.

Right now, I'm SOA on 2" springs and I'm starting to second guess whether or not it's too tall for my current axle width.
I'll try to get some rocker measurements n' such but..

Full width front 44 (Chevy axle, F150 hubs), Travelall D44 rear.

SOA/RS with stock XLC springs in the nose, non-HD springs in the tail.

4000lbs with driver, 2400lbs nose/1600lbs tail. Sits a little nose high.

About 9" from front 'stop bracket to the top of the axle tube.. roughly. Comes out to 5.5" of lift unless I'm off.

Doesn't feel tippy or unstable at all.

Plenty of body roll.. but I can still slide a corner at 30+mph in an open field - it's just leaning a lot at the same time. :D If I'm not running fast enough, it just leans and corners.

On my other Scout, stock width, 36s. 4" suspension lift, and a lot heavier..

Also doesn't feel too tippy.. back on 33s, I had it leaned over far enough I did a pull-up with the rollbar and steering wheel to get back in while on Holy Cross when I jumped sideways off the trail.

I was ready to try driving out.. everyone else said NO! :D

We do a lot of sidehilling in the winter with drifts on the trail.. I feel uncomfortable a lot, but my tilt-o-meter seems to need recalibrated since the rig doesn't care, just me. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Re: Sometimes you don't!!

Hooper said:

:D :D :D

BTW, got a look at Rick's rig last night. There is some serious sawzall action going on in that garage!!!

No scallops though, yet... ;)

Nothin there to paint yet.:D The woman has been paying attention when I watch monster garage so she can learn how they do those fancy flames and paint.

BTW rig is 87" wide and taller than it should be but way stable.:D I do have more unsprung weight than most /low CG.;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
outside of front tires is 82" they are 37's, bottom of rocker lip 27 1/2", 2" body lift, all kinds of body roll on the street but stable on the trail, :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
29" to the bottom of the rocker, stock scout 2 width 44's, 2" skyjackers, SOA, 1" lift shackle in the rear Maulis style RS, 37's. To tepsy for me so its getting full widths in the next month or so 69" 44, 70" 14-bolt. It felt good till i laid it over 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Terra-izer... are you still running the stock scout knuckles/hubs?

I've got a feeling that mine is going to end up a bit tipsy also... 29" to bottom of rockers with all the spec's listed above. Hmmmm

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just incase you all forgot what stock is...

TORC said:

Ground to bottom of rocker: 13"
Lift height 0", body lift 0" with SUA
Stock width axles with 235/75R15 tires

It feels very stable on and off road.

You asked! :flipoff2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.