Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presently have 3/4" x 5/8" heims on my front and rear uppers. 4200lb TJ with v8 and dana 60's on 37" red labels. Wondering if I should bump those up to 7/8" or if 3/4" is enough. They are FK RSMX10T. It seems to me they would be plenty strong enough for uppers, but I've noticed everyone else I know is running at least 7/8".

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
I have beat the piss out of mine on 3/4 x 3/4 uppers with 5/8 bolts in double shear and the hiems have held up great, Ruff Stuff hiems.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
i have a 3200lb buggy running toy axles and 40 inch ag tires, 3/4 uppers with misalignments and 5/8 bolts. beat the piss out of the rig for over a year with no problems. mine are the QA1 heims

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I have a 3600 lb buggy with a 6.0, 3.8 atlas, and sticky tires. My uppers and panhard are all 3/4 x 3/4 Midwest heims and they are all shot after 2 seasons. Im probably going to step up to 7/8 or 1" heims on the uppers this winter.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Are 7/8 heims enough for Uppers on a 5-6k rig with 42-44" tires?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If they are loose, I'd upgrade to the 3/4 x 7/8 heims. More surface area, so they will last longer. That's what I'm running on my uppers.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
If they are loose, I'd upgrade to the 3/4 x 7/8 heims. More surface area, so they will last longer. That's what I'm running on my uppers.
Im not running anything currently....buying parts....between 7/8 uppers and 1.25 uppers

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I'd stick with 1.25 FK's
Not in the budget..... It comer down to this...

7/8 heims...Ruffstuff cheapest

1.25 hiems Ruffstuff

Johnny Joints- Poly perfoamance

Last 2 options are within $6 if I wait for a ruffstuff 20% sale.

This is for 4 joints....I want 2-5/8 wide, 9/16 bolt..this way my brackets are all the same width, and bolts the same length....this will allow replacement and spares to be easy.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I see no reason to run anything over 7/8" on uppers. Unless you want everything the same.

Lowers however... that's an whole nother story.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I see no reason to run anything over 7/8" on uppers. Unless you want everything the same.

Lowers however... that's an whole nother story.
Lowers are Ruffstuff 1.25s..

So the consensus is 7/8 are sufficient for uppers?

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
This is for 4 joints....I want 2-5/8 wide, 9/16 bolt..this way my brackets are all the same width, and bolts the same length....this will allow replacement and spares to be easy.
RSS makes a misalignment spacer that will allow the use of a 7/8" heim to work in a 2 5/16" wide bracket.

3/4" X 5/8" Wide Misalignment - RuffStuff Specialties

FWIW, I'd run the 7/8" RSS. Later down the road, replace with bigger stuff if you need to.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Anyone else?
Why do you need all of the mounts and bolts to match? IF you need that you'll have to go with the 1.25 heim with the misalignment spacers for a 9/16 bolt.

The 7/8 heims use spacers that are 1.75 wide with a 9/16 bolt. Easier to package for me.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Why do you need all of the mounts and bolts to match? IF you need that you'll have to go with the 1.25 heim with the misalignment spacers for a 9/16 bolt.

The 7/8 heims use spacers that are 1.75 wide with a 9/16 bolt. Easier to package for me.
I dont need it, I want it. And I found that TMR customs makes misalignment spacers that make it 2.625 wide. So the only thing left to decide is...are they enough for a heavy truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts