Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am planing to build a rear 4 link suspension to my Jeep cj5, but I just can not understand what is "static load" rating on the Heim Joints. I really confused because I know that the weight of the vehicle is supported by the springs right? but what can affect the static load in the setup?...

I am running a cj5 very stock, 4.2l , dana 44 /60 (5.36), t150, dana 20, 36" TSL , is my daily driver... and BTW I have a pair of FOx AS 16" ready to mount. I live in Mexico and need to buy heims to start this proyect and my budget is very low, so I want to pick just the right for my budget.

thanks

PD: Sorry about my grammar I do not speak English very well.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm not sure but I think it's covered on one of these two links one two

Unless I'm mistaken static and radial loads in question. Static would be perpendicular loads to the bolt and radial would be parallel loads to the bolt.

but what can affect the static load in the setup?
Pretty much anything that puts a load perpendicular to the bolt that goes through the center of the heim.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Actually the static load refers to a situation where the joint is loaded without motion...i.e. the joint is static. A dynamic load rating refers to the situation where the joint is moving while a load is also applied to it. Typically to cause wear you need two things...a load and movement. Movement without load won't cause wear and load without movement won't cause wear which is why the static load is higher than the dynamic load.

The two load ratings typically seen on heim joints or bearings are the radial load which is a load applied directly down the shank of the heim. I.e. the typical load when used for suspension and steering applications. The other is an axial or thrust load which is a force applied across the heim through the mounting hole...i.e trying to push the inner portion of the heim out the side. Heims are meant to handle very high radial loads but not so much axial loads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts