Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be the difference in running heims on both ends of a link on a 4 link setup F&R. compared to a heim/bushing link for a 4 link setup F&R. i hope i am sayin this correctly. i am doin coils in rear and coilovers in front. it's on rockwells. i ask this because i have 8 1" bore 1 1/4 shank QA1 heims and i don't wanna have to spend another 700$ on 8 more heims for the front but i will. i want to know if there is any benefits to heims at both ends? will the heim/bushing setup have enough degrees of movement? i would search but it's disabled. thanks,blake

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
First of all, why would you run 1-1/4 heims on the upper links? There are very few rigs out there that could ever need such beef on the uppers.

I believe the most common problem with running heims on one end, and bushings on the other, is that you will likely exceed the available angularity of the single heim before you run out of suspension travel.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If you have the high misalignment spacers for those big rod ends, you won't run out of angularity. Your biggest problem (if it is one) is wearing out bushings periodically. Also, if you have a whole lot of force on your links, the bushing deflection might piss you off.

I have bushings at one end of my lower control arms, mostly for cost reasons. They work fine, but sometimes I kinda wish I would have just ponied up for another rod end.

FWIW, I use 1.25" shank rod ends on the lowers, and little 3/4"-5/8" rod ends at both ends of my uppers. This is on a comp buggy with D60's, so compare that to your setup however you wish.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Like I Lean said..... If I did it again I would do rod ends at both ends. I run bushings at one end and rod ends at the other. Too much flex in the bushing for me.

Also the only reason I would run 1.25 rod ends on the upper links is because I dont trust a 3/4 rod end and 1.25's cost LESS then 7/8 rod ends.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ive run polly bushings on both ends of wristed links for a couple of years now havnt worn 1 out yet, what bushing flex are you refering to?

·
Registered
60 Posts
In a lot of cases, I would think that bushings at the frame end of the links would be OK. Of course this depends on how much travel you want and how the links are set up.

What size coilovers are you using? How much travel are you trying to get?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Erik D_lux said:
Also the only reason I would run 1.25 rod ends on the upper links is because I dont trust a 3/4 rod end and 1.25's cost LESS then 7/8 rod ends.

From the small amount of researching ive done, the 7/8 can also be stronger in a lot of cases. It all depends on the material used, so just be sure you pay attention the load ratings and not just the size...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am going with 14" SAW coilovers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts