Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DKA Motorsports
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've finally saved up enough to get a tow rig/daily driver, aint gonna drive this bitch of a yota on the road anymore. :D now i just gotta save up for the SAS and dual cases, and the exo cage! I'm totally psyched! Feels good to know that my kidneys arent gonna get hammered anymore by the ride in the yota. now, my question is, if i got a D44 for the front end, would it be alright runnign 5.13s which d44s have, they cant hold 5.29s, right?? anyway, is it alright to run 5.13s in the front, 5.29s in the rear? am i gonna encounter any problems?

·
Premium Member
22,080 Posts
tribal4krawler said:
well i've finally saved up enough to get a tow rig/daily driver, aint gonna drive this bitch of a yota on the road anymore. :D now i just gotta save up for the SAS and dual cases, and the exo cage! I'm totally psyched! Feels good to know that my kidneys arent gonna get hammered anymore by the ride in the yota. now, my question is, if i got a D44 for the front end, would it be alright runnign 5.13s which d44s have, they cant hold 5.29s, right?? anyway, is it alright to run 5.13s in the front, 5.29s in the rear? am i gonna encounter any problems?
I think if they are within 10% then you are OK...

If it is mud only then I wouldn't even worry about it... or if the wheeling you do is a lot of loose stuff.

On rocks where you could be slipping and then get sudden traction all while turning - that stresses a matching drivetrain, and having mismatched gears like that would probably make bad noises that sound a lot like snappage.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I think most of the D44 people are running 5.38s with 5.29s. IIRC a lot of people here have been getting away with it on rocks.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
if its going to be a trail rig why not just run 4.88's in both and call it a day?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
you can run up to 3% difference, 5.13's are over 3%, 5.38's are 1.7%

·
Registered
897 Posts
ha ive ran 4.11 in front and 5.29 in back in the snow and mud. I broke the front RnP and used it as a spare. Ran all day like that didnt break a thing. Not saying i would suggest it though. For some darn reason they put toyota-t-case in 500hp cheves with 44's:eek:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
tribal4krawler----I used to run 5.38 in the front and 5.29 in rear....only 1.7% diff.....the only "issue" that no one has mentioned yet is the rear is over-driving the front with that set-up....meaning the rear tire are turning a little faster than the fronts causing a slight bind-up. I also thought I noticed more push or sliding off my line when trying to go up off-camber, turn hard to the left kind of stuff.
......now if you did do the 5.13 in the front, then that's about 3% difference but it's a 'good' 3% I believe....meaning the front is turning faster than the rear and might actually respond nicely when turning on the rocks. At least when going forward.

·
Registered
205 Posts
tribal4krawler said:
Or you could just run a Toyota axle and not worry about it. :flipoff2:

·
DKA Motorsports
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heh heh

well i found a 1982 yota for real cheap so i'm gonna take the front axle out of that, and some other stuff, and buy some longfields. :D hopefully they'll last a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts