Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be putting this on a 57 Willys wagon that is going to be set up with SOA. I'm not making this a rock crawler but do want to be able to wheel with it. So what do you guys think? Do you guys have any good resources for this? Thanks Pete

·
Registered
764 Posts
Since you're in Washington, I'ld assume alot of your trails have mud, which will kill heims pretty quick.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mud only if you want it. But it is pretty wet around here. Good point. Thanks Pete

·
Registered
758 Posts
I (personally) like the 1 ton TRE's. They have 7/8-18 threads, are greasable, and come with a nice pretty little boot. You'll need a taper tool to work your pitman arm and knuckles to get them to fit, but they work great. They are typically $30 or so at a local parts store and nearly everyone will carry one. Typical part numbers are:

ES2234R (right hand thread used at the knuckle)
ES2010L (left hand thread used at the knuckle)
ES2027L (left hand threaded, high misalignment typically found at the pitman arm end).

So........I feel for your application that TRE's (1 ton) would be a best choice.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I agree if you get the taper tool tre's are a perfect solid fit every time and last a lot longer that rod ends

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I use a tool called a Rapid Reamer for cutting tapers for TREs.
They are available at any good machine tool sales shop. A 5/8"
and 3/4" cover all my TRE needs. I don't know if they are the exact right angle of taper, and you can cut in too far with them, causing a loose joint. But a little patience and they work fine.
They also make short work of drilling large holes in frame rails.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts