Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be buying a 2003 GMC c2500 crew cab short bed but can't decide what motor to go with. My dad has the 8.1 and I liek driving that but I use the truck mainly for towing and some frodding through the desert and dunes. Just curious what you guys recomend for me. Im only 18 and need a truck that I will have for 6-10 years. I want to know what you guys knwo about fuel economy in either, weight difference, maintance intervals, general lieks and dislikes, etc. The truck will remain stock for the first year while I get piece together for a solid axle swap (dana 60) and 12 inch leafs with 40 inch ground hawgs. any comments appreciated! thanx again!!:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the same allison tranny as the 2500 burban has and the allsion have been on the 2500's for the last 3 years and I haven't heard of any problems yet. but I guess ya never know. I jsut can't wait around cause im looking to buy in the next month

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have a 2001 2500HD with the Dmax/Allison. It has been a great truck (42,000 miles now). Do not worry a bit about the Allison, they have been working great. A few electrical problems here and there, but mine has worked flawlessly. Dmax and 8.1 are both great engines. It is your choice, diesel or gas.

I wish I had the $$ when I was 18 to even think about a truck like this.

Stay away from the diesel trucks until they are sure the trannies are gonna live.
After almost 3 years, we are sure the trannies are going to live. Are you thinking about the new Ford?

It is the same allison tranny as the 2500 burban has
No Suburban has an Allison tranny.

go with the 8.1 the fuel mileage difference is minimal and the power is about equal.
8.1 gets about 12 or 13 mpg, diesel gets 17 - 20. You do have to pony up an extra $4K to buy the diesel though.

the only problem with the allison trans is when you lock it in 4-low it limits the revs to 1800 rpms.
Huh?

·
Registered
600 Posts
duramax all the way it will last longer period! expecially since you are 18 and prone to heavy foot system destruction

·
Registered
600 Posts
hey wait a min you want to give me a loan??? youngin lol:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanx guys

thanx for all the comments guys. I have never heard about the 4 wheel low limit at 1800 so i want to look further into that. This truck won't be a daily driver, mainly a tow vehicle so im leaning towards the deisel although it has a completely differnet feel than the gasser. how bout weight? is that gonan be a big issue since i drive in the sand alot? thanx guys!

now if I could only decide between marine blue metallic and carbon metallic!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
It must of came from a dealers mouth, I have been slippery off-road conditions, and had the tow haul mode on in 4 low, and it downshifted me into 1st and it put me around 3 grand to slow me down. I'm 20, so I still have a heavy foot, and the lowest I get is 15 in the city, and have seen 21 on the highway unloaded. loaded around 13mpg. My friend has a 8.1, and he sees on average 10mpg. 10 inches of lift. First you must be rich, your going to buy a $40,000 truck, tear off the smooth riding ifs spend 2000 more bucks to put a solid axle under it, for a tow rig. Then the rear rides rough with out a load to put 6 more inches of arch in the rear springs, talk about a rough ride. Then after that your going to need a 14 inch drop ball atleast. To top it all of I don't even know if they make gears for the new 14 bolt rear end, so going from the stock 28 inch tire to a 40 inch tire, there went all the power you got from either the gas or diesel engine, and these is going to be a tow rig???

Bryan

·
Registered
726 Posts
brokentoy said:
It must of came from a dealers mouth, I have been slippery off-road conditions, and had the tow haul mode on in 4 low, and it downshifted me into 1st and it put me around 3 grand to slow me down. I'm 20, so I still have a heavy foot, and the lowest I get is 15 in the city, and have seen 21 on the highway unloaded. loaded around 13mpg. My friend has a 8.1, and he sees on average 10mpg. 10 inches of lift. First you must be rich, your going to buy a $40,000 truck, tear off the smooth riding ifs spend 2000 more bucks to put a solid axle under it, for a tow rig. Then the rear rides rough with out a load to put 6 more inches of arch in the rear springs, talk about a rough ride. Then after that your going to need a 14 inch drop ball atleast. To top it all of I don't even know if they make gears for the new 14 bolt rear end, so going from the stock 28 inch tire to a 40 inch tire, there went all the power you got from either the gas or diesel engine, and these is going to be a tow rig???

Bryan

NOT TO RIPP - ON YOU ,But my exzact thoughts too,

just go Diesel and get 35's" and a front 2 to 3" lift to "just level it all out,"ASS high from factory!

then air bag the rear for heavy towing!

Buy a house 1st and go get a 1 TON $2500.00 Hoopty for a tow rig / dune thrasher,

AND 35K on a house,geesh 18 and a 40k 4x4
hows the insurance payments there?

just my .03

Good luck,

PS ,might want to go hang out at the dealership and ask around too with the techs/truck techs.ask alot of Q's.:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
im 24 and i have a 2001 crew cab dewlly with the 8.1.the insurance on it is about 350.00 a month.the truck tows great and when its up hill with my blazer out back it still speeds up.disels are to slugish for me.gas dose get expensive also.im sure youll be happy with the 8.1 or disel .the are both great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx for the comments.......but im looking for comments on the truck......not my age or how im gonna afford it. I tow a 22 foot open trailor with a buggy, quad, couple bikes, and some spare 35's for the buggy. Right now I drive a 1/2 ton silverado with a 6 inch lift and 35's as my "tow rig" I call it that because it isn't my daily driver........so im not talking about pulling a 40 foot weekend warrior full of toys every weekend.......just on occasion when my dad can't come out. I would rather go solid front axle and deal with the ride than go with a 6 incher and body lift. Im prob. gonna run 4.88's so I doubt that im gonna loose "all the power I started with" remember im 18 and my back can take it for a while and I can deal with having to take it easy, 55 mph limit anyways and im sure that both the 8.1 or 6.6 diesel will get me out there just fine.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thought #1, your 18, if your anything like me youll total it within 2 years.

Thought #2.
You do have to pony up an extra $4K to buy the diesel though.
For 4k you can get a smog legal blower which bumps the torque up to around 700ft/lbs. You can tow almost anything you fawking want with that. :flipoff2:

Charlo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny thing is that I already tried to run that one by the pops but he wasn't digging it since the only reason we are considering getting me a diesel is that it will get better gas miledge. My neigbors have a blown chevy dually with a 454 in it and it hauls some ass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.