Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 RRC w/ BW transfer case. The vc was locked up. I just got the last part needed to do a LT230 conversion and will hopefully do that this weekend. However, my truck is now rear wheel drive. How do I determine if it is the transfer case or something in the front axle? I have not heard anything strange,but my wife also drives the vehicle. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Remove front driveline (probably did already)

Jack up front of vehicle. Place axle on jackstands.

Spin tires.

Listen.

Spin from pinion end.

Listen.

No noise? Good, proceed with LT-230 conversion (prepare to swear).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey MDM

It sure would be sweet if you documented and posted your BW to lt23O switch as it is becomming more popular thanks to boards like this.

I am totally low if, not no tech, so I don't have a digi-cam to photograph my same swap currently under way.

JB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on checking my front axle. I had not removed the front driveshaft. I jacked the wheel up and spun it and it sounded fine. I also tried turning the front driveshaft with all wheels on the ground but could not get it to move. I am learning a great deal at this point.

I will document my conversion I guess that might help other people if I end up doing it properly. I have a digital camera.

Thanks Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just finished putting the front end on jack stands and jacked one rear wheel off the ground. The front wheels spin freely without any odd noises. When I spin one the other does not rotate at all. I have stock diffs.
When I spin the rear wheel both the rear and the front driveshaft rotate in the same direction. Still no odd noises.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The passenger sideaxle shaft broke next to the diff. The shaft did not have the bronze bushings on it. I will be 4x4 once I get a bushing.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.