Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when u turn the key to start my 93 xj its takes forever to start. is there anyway to fix this? it always starts up but your always wondering if going to start or not. my 91 starts right up but my fahter had an 87 that was the same way. i was told its because the oilpressure has to build up, and if you buy a certain oil filter it will fix it. anyone know if thsi is true? any help would be great.

·
Registered
28,768 Posts
the ecm must see enough crankshaft revolutions to figure out the timing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
probably your fuel pump in the tank. turn the key on, listen for the fuel pump to come on and build pressure. when the pressure builds up, the fuel pump will stop. then start. you can either go thru this to ease the starting or replace the pump. sometimes i have to turn the key on and off a few times to keep the pressure built up before i start mine - i've just been to lazy to change out the pump.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you've already done the fuel pump, how does your starter sound? My buddies 90 XJ used to chug away until it finally fired. His reman starter died and I gave him my OEM starter as a loaner. His fires right away now, 400,000 + kms on the clock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Never heard of oil pressure causing a problem like that on a newer motor like that. This is a pretty common problem on these. Have you checked for existing/continuous codes in the ECU? Last time i saw this problem, a mass air sensor and crank sensor took care of it, check to see how dirty the MAF sensor is.......hope that helps
:smokin:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had this same problem on my last two XJs. I went and talked to the master mechanic at the Jeep dealer and he told me that the most common reason for the 4.0L to have this problem was the injectors leaking down or a bad fuel pressure regulator. FPR was an easy fix and not to expensive. I found the easiest way to deal with this was to just buy a 99 or newer intake with the injectors and run an after market FPR. That way the money doesn't feel that bad since you are also doing a good mod.
good right up
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=6355

·
Dabbler
2,161 Posts
7 out of 10 alldata hits on long/hard starting are PCM related, others included fuel pump (2nd guess), and then injectors and fuel regulator. Numbers don't lie-pull the numbers off your ECM and replace (www.car-parts.com) if you cannot find local.

Hard starting when the engine is cold. Relays are clicking under the hood. When the relays stop clicking, the engine starts and runs. No codes stored.

"cool trick"

Tests/Procedures:
1. If the problem cannot be duplicated, remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and cool it in a freezer.

2. Reinstall the PCM and check if the symptoms are present.

3. If the symptoms are present and powers and grounds are OK, replace the PCM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts