Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i can not get these springs apart to put the new one in. I have one broken one and all i want to do is slide out the old and pop in the new. What do i need to do? I have tryed a screw driver in the side with a hammer and no luck


Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont say that i have a pair sitting on the side of the house =) It would be a bit much work to do it though. I just want to keep it simple for a bit.

Nick

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: muppetz3 ]
 

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
Joined
·
61,972 Posts
What are you trying to do?

IMHO - if you intend to pull a leaf pack apart, doing it UNDER the truck is a BAD IDEA.

Pull the springs out and work on those things on a table or somewhere else you have room to work.

So in that pic are you trying to get the spring free of the spring perch, or are you trying to pull the leaves apart?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey DRM, im trying to do both. I was hoping to be able to pull them apart and put the new one in then put them back together. Also why is it bad to do it on the truck? The truck is not going anywhere.

Nick
 

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
Joined
·
61,972 Posts
Originally posted by muppetz3:
<STRONG>Hey DRM, im trying to do both. I was hoping to be able to pull them apart and put the new one in then put them back together. Also why is it bad to do it on the truck? The truck is not going anywhere.

Nick</STRONG>
Well, for one that truck CAN fall on you when hammering on that spring to get it loose <IMG SRC="smilies/ghost.gif" border="0">

And if you go ahead and remove the bolts for the springs eye and shackle, you can rock the spring on the perch to help free it.

Besides, you are gonna have a hard time telling me a few good hammer blows to the bottom side of the spring near the perch won't knock that loose... You must be a wimp! <IMG SRC="smilies/tongue.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,182 Posts
I agree with DRM here...Pull the spring pack out. It's much easier than trying to do it under the truck. I had to replace the center pins on my front springs not to long ago and doing it when the springs were still in the truck was a PAIN IN THE ASS!!! Pull the springs...set em on the garage floor and get the BFH to get the center bolt out.

Also, put a new bolt in there while it's out. <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0"> <IMG SRC="smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahh, i just said f* it. Put it all back. I was bashing on it with a hammer and nothing, the springs wont spread. The broken leaf wont go anywhere, its held in there. And it is still working fine. I will leave it untill i am ready for the chevys =) But i was looking at the frame and i have like 4 inchs behind the rear hanger. Not to much room to move that one back. And my hitch is in the way =(

Nick
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,990 Posts
Originally posted by muppetz3:
<STRONG>Ok i can not get these springs apart to put the new one in. I have one broken one and all i want to do is slide out the old and pop in the new. What do i need to do? I have tryed a screw driver in the side with a hammer and no luck


Nick</STRONG>

Springs just aren't that tough to get out. Looking at the pic, it almost looks like the bottom over-load spring is welded to the perch. Is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,403 Posts
Let me see if I understand this, you are trying to split the leafs apart to replace a broken one, But the leafs wont seperate. If so do like the others said and take the spring out, or get a bigger hammer. If that don't work your gonna have to drill out the spring pin. Never seen one that stuck together where a BFG and some balls wouldn't break it free! <IMG SRC="smilies/skull.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Ranger:
<STRONG>Let me see if I understand this, you are trying to split the leafs apart to replace a broken one, But the leafs wont seperate. If so do like the others said and take the spring out, or get a bigger hammer. If that don't work your gonna have to drill out the spring pin. Never seen one that stuck together where a BFG and some balls wouldn't break it free! <IMG SRC="smilies/skull.gif" border="0"></STRONG>
Ever been to Rochester? Here Rust turns into welds. =) Its so much fun.

Nick
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top