Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting correctly. Here's my situation:

I have an '89 4Runner that was a salvage and that I've been working on when I have free time. I have completely rebuilt the engine, but the interior still needs to be put back together and the initial body work was not done right - all the Bondo has crackled up. It looks like the cost of having the body work re-done correctly is going to be too expensive for me. So I started thinking about trying to find a 4Runner with a good body and interior, but a bad engine and just swap engines.

I'm thinking about going with a 4-door model because this is now our family vacation and trip to the hardware store car. I found such a car, a 91 4Runner, on craigslist. My first question is, this car has the 6-cyl in it. Will it be reasonably easy to remove that engine and drop in my 22RE? That is, will it just bolt up to the tranny (I assume R151F?) or should I swap it with my W56 as well? What about everything else in the engine compartment? Will I have to be remove most everything and replace it with stuff from my '89 engine compartment?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on which tranny is better, the W56 or the R151F (or whatever is stock)?

Finally, does anyone have any thoughts about safety considerations or reliability between the two different models? We have a 4-year old daughter, which of course makes you re-think everything, right? I will probably never remove the top on my '89 and we don't do any heavy off-roading, so while the '89 is "cooler" the 4-door model may be safer and more practical. Any thoughts?

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just fuck Crash. He is just a$$hole anyhow. This isn't a forum where you can ask a question and get a simple answer!! If it's simple question being asked, don't expect to get a simple answer, just search and be done with it. And after you search and get your answer, kick back and have a few BUD'S. Forget about a serious answer here, just have a few cold one's and fuck Crash, the SOB that he is. But make sure you read the post that crash replies too, because the are funny, intertaining, and just down right some of the beat remarks ever posted on any forum.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Did I do something wrong, or is it just standard procedure to direct newbies to the FAQ? I didn't have time to read that long doc here at work - I will look it over later. In the meantime, please excuse me if I violated some forum rule or etiquette.
You didn't read that link--thats not the FAQ... Read that link and if you have more spacific questions then ask. The problem is there are a rash of noobs asking really the same damn questions over and over--so when you need to search and research something--you come up with a ton of bullshit. So there is a reason why I am the way I am ;)

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Just fuck Crash. He is just a$$hole anyhow. This isn't a forum where you can ask a question and get a simple answer!! If it's simple question being asked, don't expect to get a simple answer, just search and be done with it. And after you search and get your answer, kick back and have a few BUD'S. Forget about a serious answer here, just have a few cold one's and fuck Crash, the SOB that he is. But make sure you read the post that crash replies too, because the are funny, intertaining, and just down right some of the beat remarks ever posted on any forum.
You tell em :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

This guy cracks me up :D

·
Registered
14,711 Posts
can i drink pabst? or does it have to be bud? oh wait- you were talking mari-joo-wana werent you? mari-joo-wana's bad uuhm-kay?

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Hi! I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting correctly. Here's my situation:

I have an '89 4Runner that was a salvage and that I've been working on when I have free time. I have completely rebuilt the engine, but the interior still needs to be put back together and the initial body work was not done right - all the Bondo has crackled up. It looks like the cost of having the body work re-done correctly is going to be too expensive for me. So I started thinking about trying to find a 4Runner with a good body and interior, but a bad engine and just swap engines.

I'm thinking about going with a 4-door model because this is now our family vacation and trip to the hardware store car. I found such a car, a 91 4Runner, on craigslist. My first question is, this car has the 6-cyl in it. Will it be reasonably easy to remove that engine and drop in my 22RE? That is, will it just bolt up to the tranny (I assume R151F?) or should I swap it with my W56 as well? What about everything else in the engine compartment? Will I have to be remove most everything and replace it with stuff from my '89 engine compartment?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on which tranny is better, the W56 or the R151F (or whatever is stock)?

Finally, does anyone have any thoughts about safety considerations or reliability between the two different models? We have a 4-year old daughter, which of course makes you re-think everything, right? I will probably never remove the top on my '89 and we don't do any heavy off-roading, so while the '89 is "cooler" the 4-door model may be safer and more practical. Any thoughts?

Thanks!:)
Everyone's going to tell you to search which is a waste of bandwidth if for nothing else.

The 3.0 will not bolt into the 22re mounts or vice versa. They're different. The 4cyl. t-case will not bolt up to the back of a v6 tranny unless it is the turbo tranny, but then you need a 23 spline input in your t-case.
I had a 1990 3.0. The motor sucks. If I had just swapped in a 22re, I would have been money ahead, and would probably still have the truck today.

As for the the debate between an 89 runner or a four door runner for safety, there is no debate. The four door runner (although heavier) is a much safer vehicle. The first gen runner shells are probably more stout than any other aftermarket shell out there, but it aint solid steel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone's going to tell you to search which is a waste of bandwidth if for nothing else.

The 3.0 will not bolt into the 22re mounts or vice versa. They're different. The 4cyl. t-case will not bolt up to the back of a v6 tranny unless it is the turbo tranny, but then you need a 23 spline input in your t-case.
I had a 1990 3.0. The motor sucks. If I had just swapped in a 22re, I would have been money ahead, and would probably still have the truck today.

As for the the debate between an 89 runner or a four door runner for safety, there is no debate. The four door runner (although heavier) is a much safer vehicle. The first gen runner shells are probably more stout than any other aftermarket shell out there, but it aint solid steel.
Thank you, Montezuma! Finally someone answered me! Crash, I appreciate that you're trying to keep the forums clean, but I already tried searching and couldn't find anything.

So, Montezuma, in regards to the engine mounts, are you saying that I need to use the engine mounts from the '89, as in they'll bolt right up to the support frame in the '91, or do I have to do some welding or other mod to mount the engine?

As for the tranny issue, I'm not clear. I rebuilt the engine but don't know much about the various workings of the tranny, transfer, etc. on these things. Can I just bolt up the 22RE to the tranny that's in there now (the R151F, I think)? Or should I bring over my W56 and it's transfer too? Anything else I should carry forward?

Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
The motor mounts on the frame rails are in different spots. You have to move them on the frame rails (cut and reweld). Also, you can swap the 22RE tranny/t-case into it, or you should be able to anyway depending on generation. Second gen truck to first gen 4Runner (2 door) is bolt in tranny/t-case with the stock crossmember. You just have to move the motor mounts on the frame as mentioned. The 22RE will not bolt to any V6 tranny. Also, a lot of the stuff under the hood needs to be swapped as well since the airbox, radiator, power steering lines, and all that fun stuff is completely different. You basically need an entire donor vehicle to swap things from. The wiring harness and ECU need to be swapped, but its not plug and play into the V6 vehicle either. You will have to cut and splice everything to make it work.

~T.J.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Is there anything wrong with the current V6 motor in the 4runner? If not then this is just stupid... I know you have a freshly rebuilt 22re but come on - as you might have already discovered by now is this is not an easy swap!

:shaking:

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
Yup as you have discovered Crash likes to play the asshole here on PBB. he usually means well and is generally entertaining but he suffers from what is commonly reffered to little mans syndrome.. Not that he has tiny manhood (you'd have to ask Mrs Crash that one) but the poor dude has NO meat on his bones! I'd be cranky if I could count my ribs just by looking too! :flipoff2:

To answer your question it won't be the easiest swap int he world but its totally possible. You'll have to rebuild your motor mounts to the re will bolt in. You'll also need to use your W56 trans and t-case unless you can find a r151 bell housing to go on that r150 v6 trans you have in that runner.

The wiring is plug and play or straight up fawking hell depending on what path you choose to take. You can make it easy and find a wrecked 3rd gen 4 banger truck and pull the engine harness and gauge pod out of it (if the runner doesn't have a tach disregard the gauge pod) You'll also need to swap a bunch of sensors and whatnot off of the re as the 3rd gen harness will have different plugs than the second gen harness. I think the color codes for the wires are teh same though (could be wrong on this!) so you could splice it together if need be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup as you have discovered Crash likes to play the asshole here on PBB. he usually means well and is generally entertaining but he suffers from what is commonly reffered to little mans syndrome.. Not that he has tiny manhood (you'd have to ask Mrs Crash that one) but the poor dude has NO meat on his bones! I'd be cranky if I could count my ribs just by looking too! :flipoff2:

To answer your question it won't be the easiest swap int he world but its totally possible. You'll have to rebuild your motor mounts to the re will bolt in. You'll also need to use your W56 trans and t-case unless you can find a r151 bell housing to go on that r150 v6 trans you have in that runner.

The wiring is plug and play or straight up fawking hell depending on what path you choose to take. You can make it easy and find a wrecked 3rd gen 4 banger truck and pull the engine harness and gauge pod out of it (if the runner doesn't have a tach disregard the gauge pod) You'll also need to swap a bunch of sensors and whatnot off of the re as the 3rd gen harness will have different plugs than the second gen harness. I think the color codes for the wires are teh same though (could be wrong on this!) so you could splice it together if need be.
OK, so it sounds like too much work to swap with a 6 cyl. I only have the '89 with the 22RE. I was looking at a '91 with a blown 6 cyl on craigslist. So, if I can find a 4 door runner with a blown 22RE (so I can get it cheaper) is it a simple swap? Or would the wiring harness and sensors, etc. be all different from the '89? My problem is that my '89 still needs to have the interior put back together and needs some body work/paint, plus 4 new tires! My $$ is only in the engine so far, so I thought upgrading might be better than spending the money on this one - but not if it's going to be too much work! I'm hoping for a simple swap scenario (I don't have much time or money for a complicated one), but if one doesn't exist I just stay with the '89.

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
It is a lot of work to do the swap.. Not difficult just a lot of time would need to be invested. Your plan to grab a runner with a blown re is the best bet. I'd pull the blown engine and swap all the sensors and intake onto the older engine and be happy. The later the re the better more refinement they did to the wiring and whatnot. After you play with the newer re stuff you'll never want to go back to that older crap for sure. :D

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts

Hey--ouch....

I have done a 2rz swap in a zook and currently doing a 2rz in a toy pickup-- Its not hare at all....

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
C'mon Crash you know I gotta talk shit about your ribs sticking out, I'm not totally sure I have any ribs..... I must have them but I can't see them under all this insulation... :laughing:

The rz engines are sweet! the wiring isn't too bad on them either. I'm working on a 3rz setup now... :D

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
C'mon Crash you know I gotta talk shit about your ribs sticking out, I'm not totally sure I have any ribs..... I must have them but I can't see them under all this insulation... :laughing:

The rz engines are sweet! the wiring isn't too bad on them either. I'm working on a 3rz setup now... :D
BIG meany :(

The hard part is trying to tie both rigs together wiring wise--something I have no probs doing :D

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
I'm a fawking cheater..... I'm doing a body swap with a 2x standard cab and cutting the back out of the cab, shoving the cage in from the back then putting a tube bed on it.. Problem solved, now wiring bullshit to deal with either. :D

I'll leave the wiring to you... Although there isn't a whole lot on a sami to play with to start with. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts