Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 74 bronco and i need a new a new sector and dont think i really want to put a factory replacement back in it, the rig has 38.5 tires with a saginaw pump, what do you guys think i should do, let me know if there is any other info you need about the truck, thanks

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Sector?? do you mean a P/S gear box or the sector shaft that goes in the P/S gear box:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its what i was taught back in hs auto tech that it was called a sector, maybe some people call it different things

·
Banned
13,206 Posts
its what i was taught back in hs auto tech that it was called a sector, maybe some people call it different things

just a hunch, but your aren't from america are you? that's a steering box. a "sector" is actually a sector shaft and it's the geared shaft that is in the steering box itself. idk shit about early broncos, but maybe the box used on f-150-250s in the 70's would work, might be the same steering box anyhow.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everybody calls it the 4x4x2 box by far the best choice in my book. http://www.bcbroncos.com/techtips08.html This is also a good choice. http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-BRONC...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item256bad2359 there's also a 4x4x2 box prebuilt for sale also. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Ford-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbb5a0836
thanks, this is what a friends dad is telling me to do but i didnt know it was called a 4x4x2 what is the real advantage to that setup, if its nothing special then id rather go for the delphi one, its alot cheaper, and as for hydro assist that will come in the future but for now it will be fine, the same friend has an early bronco with 49.5's and he just put his hydro assist in this year after running without for a good six years

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
What is the application for this delphi box?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
The 4x4x2 box is stout and fits well in a bronco, plus it's all ford-spec parts. It's the 4x4 steering box out of an F150 or 78-79 bronco, but with a 2wd ball nut/worm in it so it turns the right direction. On the donor 4x4 trucks the pitman arm points forward, on an Early Bronco, you switch it to point back. Without swapping the 2wd components into it, the truck would steer left if you turned the wheel right.

The locknut and stud you highlited in red on top of the picture of a steering box is the sector shaft preload adjustment. The sector is actually the gear inside that the ball nut meshes with, and the sector shaft is what the pitman arm attaches too.

You can adjust the amount of slop in a box with the sector shaft preload, but be careful because an old box will be worn more in the middle of the steering range, so if you snug it up it may bind closer to full lock steering.

·
Registered
40 Posts
HELP...maybe I have found the right guys to help me. I'm totally tarded about Ford steering parts.

I have that identical "Delphi" conversion box that V6TOY4X posted up. It came with the same exact pitman arm...probably 3/4" drop. My problem is the stock drag-link hole is itty-bitty, and I want to use GM 1-ton DREs. I don't think there is enough meat left around the hole to ream out for the larger stud. I basically need a flat (or nearly flat) Ford pitman arm. It needs to be 5" to 5.75" long. It needs to have a large end so I can ream it, (or possibly made) to fit a 1-ton DRE. Does any aftermarket place make such a critter?

My box is identical to V6toy4x's and steers in the correct direction. It has 4-bolt mounting, and the pitman arm is pointed to the rear. Any info on this box...what it came from...and what a Delphi conversion is...would be greatly appreciated. I'm using it on a Hummer H3 solid axle conversion. All I need is the right pitman arm, and I'm done with my steering!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts