Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the bugs worked out on my 8.1. The motor idles fine, and has great throttle response and full throttle while in park or neutral. I can "burp" the throttle around the block but when I lay in it, it cuts out. I can spin the 52's on a slick garage floor until the tires heat up and start to grab and the motor cuts out. So basically when the motor is under a load it cuts out. The company that did my harness and computer was supposed to take the vehicle speed sensor and torque management off the computer. I haven't been able to get them to answer the phone. What do you guys think? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
What fuel pump are you running? Put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see what you're getting.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

e2000

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
IMO the E2000 is way too small for that big of a motor. Mine "just barely" keeps up with my 5.7.:shaking:
There was a post/argument a while back (2 years?) where someone was getting more GPM from a similar pump, but I forget the number of it:(
I do not have it bookmarked either. Hopefully someone remembers it, and will post up.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My harness and computer guy told me that with that pump I needed to regulate the pressure down to 40 psi. I didn't think it needed it so I never put one on. I will check the fuel pressure tomorrow.

·
Registered
100 Posts

it was my assumption that these moters need about 60 psi to function right
i know that was the case on my 5.7 vortec, and also on a 5.3 we have in a jeep
thats why we run a larger pump . i used to have similar probs till i upgraded, but im sure ill get flamed by some web wheelin number cruncher who goes by "the book" and what the mfg says its "susposed to do" since most of them have little to no real world experience with this kinda of stuff and ive only been building rigs for about 10 years and am a mechanic for aliving im sure i have no idea what i am talking about:flipoff2:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pump

That was my assumption also and thats why I did not regulate it down. We have had 5.3's in the past and used the e 2000 with no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
My harness and computer guy told me that with that pump I needed to regulate the pressure down to 40 psi. I didn't think it needed it so I never put one on. I will check the fuel pressure tomorrow.
I agree with WEPS. You need 55-62psi for that motor according to the factory spec. Your harness and computer guy has no idea what he's talking about. :shaking:

The 5.3 is a little less hungry than the 8.1 so that's probably why you got away with it then :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel pump 8.1

I there any particular one you recommend. I thought that the e2000 put out 60psi which is what I'm running.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
The E8248 has a higher displacement of around 67 GPH, Where as the E2000 has around 40GPH. There are a couple threads on this, this pump seemed to be a good fix. Search E8248 or E8228 and the threads are right there.
________
Asian36dx cam

·
Registered
612 Posts
My 8.1 (02') regulates the psi and flow at the rail, so no need to regulate the pump. Go out and buy a bigger pump and let the motor dictate how much fuel it needs. I bought an in tank walbro unit from auto performance for a lot cheaper than anywhere else. Just my .02.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
100 Posts
8248 is the pump we run cured all our problems , woodlee put me onto this pump about 4-5 years ago when he was running a 5.7 in his cabtruck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts