Pirate 4x4 banner

Help! Dodge 2000 Ram 2500 5.9L 2 wd with tweaked center steering link.

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SSSRodeo 
#1 ·
Dodged a head on wreck in my tow rig and hit a security post in a parking lot causing damage to the left front bumper, fender, suspension and steering on my 2000 Dodge. This was a few months before I broke both legs and feet in a fall. I'm just now getting to where I can walk on them long enough to work on my Pickup few few hours at a time.

Over the last 4 weeks I've managed to work on it some. Very painfully I might add.
I've got the left lower A arm replaced. New Rotors (because they are the original equipment.)
Replaced all of the upper and lower ball joints (both sides), power steering box, power steering pump snd hoses. But I can't find the center cross link. The Dealership is NO Help!

The grease zerk on the steering link just barely rubs the frame, so that's how I know it's bend a little Should have about a 1/2 clearance in straight on postition.

The tweaked part is the short arm section between the steering box arm and the right steering link is pushed back about a half inch. (Between the location of # 6 to #7.
It's the yellow highlighted part in the picture.

So my question is, Does anyone know where I can get this part from.? New preferred!
BUt I'll put a used one on if I have no other choice!

Like I mentioned, I am just now starting to relearn how to walk again, so hitting the wrecking yard and pullling one is out of the question for me. A Pick & Pull in a wheel chair is just not going to work.....

Dodge Ram 2500 Center LinkPart Number: 52039496AA
Discontinued
Vehicle Specific
Fits the following Dodge Ram 2500 Years:
  • 2000-2002 | Quad Cab 2WD, Regular Cab 2WD, Regular Cab Chassis 2WD | 10 Cyl 8.0L, 6 Cyl 5.9L Diesel, 8 Cyl 5.9L.
Also, I would appreciate your thoughts on the last resort idea of just putting the cross link in the 40 ton press and tweaking it back a little. I can't find that part anywhere on the open internet.

Hoping you guys might be able to point me to a good source for this.
Oh and yes, after I get it where I can road it I'm going to have it aligned on a laser alignment machine to make sure the frame isn't bent. Just In Case. The trucks only got 250K miles and it looks and runs like it did new.

Thanks. I'm usually on the Isuzu or General Chit Chat and Trailer Park. But Having bee a memeber here I know there is not better collection if minds who can help solve this issue.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I hadn't thought about doing it that way. I was more concerned I'd get one more bent than the one I have if I'm not the one measuring it before pulling it. One of the reasons I prefer a new one, if I can find it.
Especially if I'm just relying on some wrecking yard dude to get me a good one.

#7 ·
I have googeled that part for over 2 weeks and have come up with the part # and that it has been discontinued. No one that I can find has any OEM replacements.
I am a memeber of the Cummins Forum, but it's been a while since I last logged on there.
Forgot about them, mainly because all my searches have not pointed me to any info there.

I last posted there about when I built my "Hot Rodded" 12 valve for my Motorhome I hung out at Cummins back then and even did a write up on the conversion from the EFI Ford 460 to the 12 valve and Allison tranny. (But that was in 2000.)

I have checked Geno's Garage and they don't have anything. They have the T style linkages, but no center link bars.

Oh, and I talked to my Bridgestone Rep (motorcycle riding buddy) this morning and he told me those parts are called Crash Parts. Which means, they are not a wear item and so the factories don't make a million extras because they only need to be replaced if they are in a crash. Supposedly more rare than wear items like ball joints and drag links. And since my Truck is a 2000 year model, apparently all the new ones have been used up by the Body and Frame Shops.

But thanks Stox for the heads up. I think I"ll mosey over to the Cummins Forum and see if anyone has one on a parts truck behind their barn they'll sell me.

My quest continues!

#9 ·
Yea I'd go that way but I broke both legs and shattered 7 out of 10 metarsal bomes in my feet. So I can barley walk on a concrete floor. I have to use a mobility scoot in my yard just to get out to the shop.
It's not a permanent situation but walking through a salvage yard is russian rounlette for me for at least 4 to 6 more months. Not to mentioni if I get on the ground to liik under a truck, there's a good chance I won't be able to get back on my feet without some serious help. I can't stand back up without a LOT of pain. Like get me hime, my feet are swelling up pain, I'm done for the day.

My truck is on a 2 post lift now and I've been working under it by sitting in an office chair and raising and lowering it to reach stuff. Crazy I know. But I do what I can.

I have a buddy in Georgia going to go look for one, maybe ths week. Or next. But he's 75 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.