Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone sells a custom e-brake set-up. I did some swapping and ended up with this suburban on 46"s. Whoever built it built custom rear caliper brackets and used mid 80's chevy 3/4 ton front calipers. The thing stops great, but has to have an e-brake to pass inspection.

·
Registered
313 Posts
In your state does the E-brake have to be attached directly to the rotating mass...EX, the rotor itself? Or can you get away with a transfer case parking break where the a small rotor and caliper are attached to the output shaft of the t-case?

·
Registered
974 Posts
In TX you can run a driveline\tcase brake. Since it is an 89, should have a 241 tcase; you would have to get the slip yoke eliminator before you could do the driveline brake. But then its still going to have involve some fab work, as I know off no driveline brake for the 241. Might be able to get the one for a np205 from High Angle Drive and mod it to fit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
pop one on the diff. that makes life much simpler!

·
Registered
130 Posts
How often does it have to be inspected? Okahoma does not have an official inspection process. Only random by Highway Patrol and to get one of those you didn't shutup at the right time.

Does anyone have a set of old Cadilac calipers laying around?

The rear Cadilac Calipers from a 70s Eldorado have the same mounting as the standard fron calipers he has don't they??? The E-Brake never worked but it would be present for the visual inspection. Then swap back after the inspection.

I also have some advice for anyone who thinks the E-brake is really going to help in an emergecy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can use a line lock or hydro lock for the rear line.
I never thought about a line lock. Thats an awesome idea.

Around here you have to have a working e-brake. I thought about driveline brakes, but not sure how strong the drivetrain is and may upgrade.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been looking at this, and still have a couple months til inspection is due. I'm gonna try a LT1 camaro rear caliper, they have the e-brake cable hardware attatched.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sweet ride, but sure looks like fun get your spare tire up and down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
NP241 Driveline Brake

I have an NP241 with a Slip Yoke Eliminator from JB conversions. I got my driveline E brake from Jesse at High Angle Driveline. Works great except for the driveline slop due to the locker. Might roll a few inches.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Avoid caddy calipers, they suck. In Oregon you have to have a mechanical parking brake. I wouldnt run a line lock for an e-brake, pusing on all the parts in the brake system all the time to hold the rig is asking for a failure when you put it under load. I have transfer case brakes on my Toyotas, works great, my Chevy is getting a custom built setup for a t-case brake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ruled the line lock out. As far as the calipers go, it only has to work for inspection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's the 76-78 caddy el dorado calipers you want and they will bolt right up without any fab work to what you already have.

You could install the caddy calipers for inspection time, then just swap out the chevy calipers when it's done and run them the other 11.99 months of the year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts