Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not for my jeep...but for another guy I work with (he happens to be my senior officer so I would really like to help)

He has a 79 cj that is VERY nice...not really a wheeling rig but very sweet..anyhow it has a 350 small block, a Turbo 350 and a 203 T-case.

When you put it in reverse and begin to back up the driveline has about a 1/4 turn of slack in it and it really slaps the driveshaft hard.

We unhooked the driveshaft and I found the rear end to be pretty snug however the T-case yoke had a bunch of play in it.

It does not seem to really jerk in forward but its bad in reverse...he had the 203 rebuilt and i wonder if they did not screw something up..I dont know much about the turbo or the 203 so any help would be great.

also he mentioned something about wanting to had power brakes...he has stock axles...anybody know the best way to do that pretty easy?...I will search for that directly but if you would know some part numbers or anything you might throw them out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
nothing for sure here, just 2 cents........
my first thought was "do you have a detroit locker in the rear"
does he have locking hubs?.......if yes, i've heard those mile marker OR whatever part-time kits can wear, and i suppose contribute some slop.......

my older th350 has alittle play when going in and out of park, combine with the "Normal Detroit Slop" it seem like alot, but it's really not a problem.............

·
Registered
591 Posts
Does he still have the 2 piece axles? He may be loosing the keyway, or the nut is getting loose. A 350 and 2 piece axles are a doomed combination..
Ricky...seeya...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know about the chain drive tcases, but the D300 has shims for the rear output shaft bearing that are used to adjust endplay-maybe the bearing is bad or it's misadjusted. As for the power brakes, you can get that setup from Collins Bros. Jeep. I've seen others in the mags as well but can't think of them right now. Hope this helps.
Rick

http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.