Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been searching and searching with no results at all. i have found an front axle in the bone yard that was in a fire and has been pulled out of the truck and is just sitting by itself. i need help I.D.ing it. the number off the tag reads 610655-1. it has a ford stamped tie rod and a drivers drop diff. it also has a high pinion, and has ball joints instead off king pins. it is an open knuckle and also has duelly hubs. a friend that i have that works there said he'd sell it to me for $250. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Dually hubs? There aren't a lot of front axles with 'dually' front hubs. Do you mean 8 bolt rim style?

Some forklifts have dually steered axles, saw a mud truck in a mag once with front tires mounted in the outboard dually position and narrow rear so it wouldn't drive in it's own ruts.
Ken

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
jeenjer said:
i've been searching and searching with no results at all. i have found an front axle in the bone yard that was in a fire and has been pulled out of the truck and is just sitting by itself. i need help I.D.ing it. the number off the tag reads 610655-1. it has a ford stamped tie rod and a drivers drop diff. it also has a high pinion, and has ball joints instead off king pins. it is an open knuckle and also has duelly hubs. a friend that i have that works there said he'd sell it to me for $250. any help would be appreciated.
how bad was the fire if, it got to hot it might be junk

also 44's didnt have duelly hubs so it might be a newer 50 or 60 out of a ford unless it has coil buckets then it might be a dodge 60(but then it would have the funky cad on the long tube)(unless its a 2002 dodge 60 then no funky cad)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry, what i meant by duelly was it came off a truck with a rear duelly axle, this axle is for a single wheel, it just has the large spacer attached to the rotor so it can use one, duelly wheel. follow me?

i'm sure it's not a 44, and pretty sure it's not a 50. i'm thinking it's a 60 , 61, or a 70, but i've heard 70's are only pass. drop. and no high pinions were made.

as for how hot the fire was i have no idea. i looked at some of the thinner metal parts on the axle and couldn't find any sign of warpage so i'm assuming the fire didn't do much damage to the axle exept melt the rubber seals.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
if its got the bolt on deully thingys than its a ford 60

also I think the newer 50's and 60's use a crush collar on the pinnion so if you reseal the pinnion you have to put in a new crush collar and re-preload the pinnion FWIW

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jstarnes said:
if its got the bolt on deully thingys than its a ford 60

also I think the newer 50's and 60's use a crush collar on the pinnion so if you reseal the pinnion you have to put in a new crush collar and re-preload the pinnion FWIW
well if i end up buying it, it's gonna get a new set of gears anyway. it has 3.73's right now, and i'm planning on running at least 38's.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'll run the numbers and get back to ya tomorrow

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If the number you posted is on a tag it is probably for the gear. You need to fing the "Bill of materials" number stamped on the axle tube just to one side of the diff on the front of the tube. It should be a 6 to 7 digit number as well. check tonight as I will run the number you posted.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the number on the tube is the same number that was on the tag. 610655-1. i have checked at dana expert also and nothing came up. ???

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have one of these brand new in the rack,610655-2 this is 1998 1/2 - 99 1/2 F350 dually dana 60 front. The dana 60 front for these years is not listed in the dana books. Your's is 3.73, the one i have is 4.30. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
764 Posts
get that thing!:) just scrap the knucles out on the axle and replace with pre-98 D60 stuff. the new super dutys have junk bearings in them, like dodge style bearings. steve can hook you up with the parts you need.:)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys, thanks alot for your help. i've been having a hell of a time researching this thing. now i need to see if it will be worth it to rebuild it. it's gonna need new gears and a complete rebuild, not to mention changing out the rotors for single wheels. oh and calipers. i'm guessing the going price is between $1000 and $1500 for a functioning HP60. so, i guess it's time to do some research.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts