Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about buying a 99 2500 crew cab 4x4. its a real nice truck but its gutless. i mean it runs the way chevy intended it to but my gosh. has anyone dealt with this before? what could i do to get some more wewe outa this thing with out going Whipple?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Last guy I knew had one supercharged it too. My other friend had a 91 one ton dually 4x4 and it was a total dog. Gotta be able to wake them up for sure, maybe a cam change? I drove a newer one with an Allison behind it that was at a ride and drive a few years ago and that thing barked the tires going into second gear. I thought man they really livened up the big block! Ran good!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hmmm

I've got a stock 87 TBI crew cab, 4x4 dually, and it hauls ass. Nothing has been done to it, either....

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
if you keep the tbi, not a lot.

if you decide to let it breathe, put a set of large chamber oval port heads on it after angle milling them. try to get the combustion chamber down to 110 cc's by angle milling a set of 049 castings or 781 castings, and you can put an edelbrock performer rpm, a hydraulic roller cam with 228/230* duration at .050, and .600/.620 lift.

should make decent power.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
He should have SFI. There are tons of mods than can be done to it. OBDII is your friend. A google search would be a good first step.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, i bought this thing. its real nice and i got a smoking deal, but its a total dog! i have already done a k&n fipk and it has dual exhaust already. im about to send off the computer to pcm for less. i cant find any headers for this year, they only go to 95. just want to see if there are any more ideas.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
The cast iron manifolds will flow just fine for a street engine. A free flowing, 3'' single exhaust will help. I'd do the exhaust and the computor first

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are you calling gutless? If its not fast its becasue its not suppose to be. The truck is a 3/4 ton...its made to pull not run with sports cars.

·
Registered
114 Posts
if you keep the tbi, not a lot.

if you decide to let it breathe, put a set of large chamber oval port heads on it after angle milling them. try to get the combustion chamber down to 110 cc's by angle milling a set of 049 castings or 781 castings
After doing some research for my own Vortec 454, it looks like the heads are 100cc from the factory. They also have the non adjustable rocker arms, so that limits the amount you have for cams without major machine work. I am going to do a cam swap and probably a little port work, along with the pcm tune. The trucks come with factory dual exhaust into one muffler. Cut the factory one off and get some good flowing ones you like back there. Factory pipe is 2.5". Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i did a real good tune up with NGK iridium plugs and MSD wires a good cap and rotor from jeggs. i also ordered a pcm from
Wait4meperformance.com, i have heard good thigns about their tuning. i cant seem to find any headers for this year, if anybody knows of some please let me know.

and im not trying to make it "fast". it would be nice if it would get out of its own way though. i guess GM has the torque management turned way up on some of these trucks especialy when they have the auto trans.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The older headers work. You just need to weld in a bung for the EGR. Its a JIC/AN style fitting. It could probably go in the collector if you wanted.

Doesn't the Vortec BBC have individual injectors on rails? I would think you can get better injectors.

You can get larger throttle body and airflow sensor too.

The ECM is flashable, so a programmer will work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have a 97 vortec 454... look under sas almost done..

i have a ati procharger... k&n filter. bbk thorttle body. msd ignition, ported heads, stock cam, custom tune. stock pulleys, jba headers with high flow cats and 2.5 inch exhaust. oh and a mass air flow sensor. ngk plugs.

i dynoed at 468hp at wheels, 533 torque at wheels... have the dyno papers if u wanna see

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
and, of course, an 18 year old would be a very good authority on what is gutless and what is not...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have a 97 vortec 454... look under sas almost done..

i have a ati procharger... k&n filter. bbk thorttle body. msd ignition, ported heads, stock cam, custom tune. stock pulleys, jba headers with high flow cats and 2.5 inch exhaust. oh and a mass air flow sensor. ngk plugs.

i dynoed at 468hp at wheels, 533 torque at wheels... have the dyno papers if u wanna see
thats very impressive. the supercharger would be the way to go if money was no object.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i own a volkswagen, thats gutless. i also own a buick roadmaster which with the lt1 hauls descent ass for a 4200 lb car lol. by the way ive paid for them all with my own money so no mommy hasnt boughtem for me

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
In case you haven't noticed you just contradicted yourself. What do you think that LT1 in your Roadmaster is? Your letting your mouth overrun your brain for the sake of posting up. A little piece of friendly advice, contribute in a positive manner or suffer the consequences. You may get banned.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i love chevy as mucha s the next guy, but its picky situation on which motors are awesome and ones that are complete boat anchors, 90 % of v8's arent making the kind of power they should. hell id argue that dodge makes a better 318 than chevy does a 350 at times. but for the most part chevy hauls some good ass.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts