Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 xtra cab 22re. I keep breaking the front axle locating pin on the drivers side leaf spring, what would keep causing this. possible over tigtening the shackle bolts??

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
part of maintance

i used to tighten u bolts and steerig studs after every run in the rocks or at least check them . sometimes even steering box bolts since i snapped those once. bad thing where u drove to trail and not trailered

·
Registered
661 Posts
tighten your u bolts in a pattern keep going over them and then re tighten ever few runs and you will no longer have center pin issues

·
FOF
8,202 Posts
Torque your ubolts 75-80 lbs, I used to do 100lbs but I think that is a tad much, but had no issue with breakage either way.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I tighten my ubolts with a cheater bar. When ever I hear a :pING: sound, they are tight.

Im also using 5/8 ubolts with a 1/2 plate on top.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Do you have a U-bolt flip kit? What type of U-bolts are you using on the DS, square bottom or round bottom? It is best to use the square bottom ones because they fit the contour of the housing better on the 85 housing. Torque to 90 ft lbs (from FSM). Also, make sure the center pins are tight but be careful they strip easy. Springs pins are made of soft material for a purpose, they are designed to snap the head off on impact to lessen the damage if you hit like a square curb at speed.

Use a torque wrench to tighten the U-bolts. I thought I was good at feeling torque until one day I tested it after I tightened them with an 18” breaker bar. I was anywhere from 10-15 ft pounds off.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Another 2 tricks which help (a lot).

First: make sure your running a 3/8" or 7/16" center pin.

Replace the pins with grade 8 bolts. Make sure you have as much of the major diameter as possible, with the minimum amount of threads. This normally means you need to cut the bolt down. Next, install the bolt upside down: so that the head is on the top. You should do this, because the center pin almost always breaks at the main leaf, so that is where you want the major diameter of the bolt to me. And finally, secure the center pin with a top lock/stover nut.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
GRM--- your right on !!!!

i broke a center pin on Walker Hill on the CON-----sprinkled leaves everywhere !!!
Camo was along and he had replacements---- but upon his advise, i made and replaced mine with grade 8 bolts------ never had that problem again !!!!!!!!!! (15 years ago !)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all of the advise, i'm getting 3/8 allen head bolts this weekend and get it ready for some trails. :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I use 3/8 allen head bolts without a problem!
I dont use allen heads anymore after a bad experience having half the head stuck in the spring perch of a YJ.

If a hex-head bolt wont fit, I round the head on the bench grinder till it does. Vice-grips do a fine job of holding it in place while I tighten or loosen the bolt.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
i dont see a problem with running a socket cap screw, sounds ideal for the job. what was your bad experience?
The Hex portion of the head snapped off, wedging itself into a cast spring perch. The rest of the bolt was complete, just missing half the head. Took 2-3 hours of drilling, yelling, an frustration to get it out.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
I dont use allen heads anymore after a bad experience having half the head stuck in the spring perch of a YJ.

If a hex-head bolt wont fit, I round the head on the bench grinder till it does. Vice-grips do a fine job of holding it in place while I tighten or loosen the bolt.
Been using them for many , many years without a problem. Secret, keep the U-bolts tight!!!!!:flipoff2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts