Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2006 GMC Savana G3500 with a Duramax. The rear axle has a label on one of the tubes that says it's a model 70S. Dana is clearly stamped on the cover (difficult to tell what the casting says, but it's a diamond). The gear ratio is 3.73, and it has disk brakes. The tubes are huge! It's an open diff.

So, everything seems to indicate that it's a Dana 70 Standard axle. The problem is that the cover has TWELVE bolts, not ten like I've seen everywhere else. I can't find any reference for a D70 with 12 bolts... Can anyone confirm that this really is a D70? Anyone ever seen a D70 with 12 bolts? Based on the vehicle, and using Randy's R&P website, I expected it to have a Corporate 14-bolt, but it's definitely not. I'm confused, and would just like to know what it is such that one day I can find a locker for it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, it was late last night when I was poking around under it. I'll take some pics and post them up.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
This must be a cutaway DRW van? GM considers that a 10 3/4" ring gear.

Seriously, a locker? Slide an axle out and start counting splines.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More van info: It's a 135" single rear wheel cargo van. The van is stock. I just brought it home this weekend, so I haven't had a chance to dig in yet. It has ~13" rotors that are ~1 1/8" thick, and is just large in general.

Yeah, a locker. The plan is to build a 4X4 with it, add some rear seats and a bed, and use it for hunting, camping, etc (replacing my Suburban). Think Sportsmobile for the long term. I plan on using my D60 up front with coilovers, and a divorced NP205. I don't need the locker today, but I would like to better understand the hardware that it comes with. It's definitely DANA, and the label clearly states that it's a Model 70S. I verified that it's an open diff both with the label and with the loud pedal :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
the dana "super" 60's and front 70's have 12 bolt covers, could this be a super D70 rear? Havent seen one before, nice score!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that's it...a Super 70! After doing more searching, it does look a lot like the front axle that comes on the 4X4 Kodiak's, which is also a super 70. The whole pumpkin is just plain big! I guess that's what the "S" means in the model number.

I looked this morning and the tubes do NOT taper down out by the wheel bearings. I'll have to measure the tubes; they're huge!

So, will a standard D70 carrier fit this (assuming I get the spline count correct)? What makes it "super"?

Thanks for the help!

·
4X4 HACK
2,970 Posts
I too am interested in the "super" aspect, and what the diffrence between "S" and "HD" models is?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Measure the ring gear... I couldn't find any info with my Google-fu but if it's anything like the newer Dana Super 60s in the front of Superduties... they use a D60 carrier but instead of a 9.75" ring gear it is like a 10" ring gear IIRC. I just know it's bigger.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
My hollander interchange only listed that for the DRW cutaway. They (and I) have been wrong before.

Either way. Take a shaft out and do some counting please.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's a 70s , they where going in the Chevy vans and the Super Dutys. They are an adjuster nut type carrier like a 14 bolt. My buddy works at the plant that assembled that one in the pic. It is in Columbia, MO.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a 70s , they where going in the Chevy vans and the Super Dutys. They are an adjuster nut type carrier like a 14 bolt. My buddy works at the plant that assembled that one in the pic. It is in Columbia, MO.
So does that mean it's a regular ol' D70 but with adjuster nuts instead of shims? Is there more to it than that? I probably won't be pulling the cover or axles off any time soon to measure things...plenty of other things to do before that.

is the pinion centered or is it slightly offset?
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean is it centered between the wheels (wms to wms)?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't know about reg ol 70 there are like 3 versions. PM me your email address and I'll get some pics for you. We have two of them sitting on the floor of the shop. It's good to know people in high places, if only I had a BOM on the Kodiak front 70 I could have more info on that also. Anyone need a set of tubes and 1550 C's from a Super 60?:D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes, the pinion tho, not the housing
I measured the pinion, and it is offset to the passengers side 1.5". So, I believe the housing itself is centered, the axles are probably the same length, and the offset is due to the nature of a ring and pinion (ring is centered?).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm picking one of these axles up from the junkyard today that looks almost new. 4.11s, limited slip, brakes look great, etc. It's out of a 3500 Express van, SRW. Did you ever find out if it will take a carrier from one of the more common Dana 70 models? Info about this axle is hard to come by.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I never found the answer to that. I suspect it might depend on the carrier you'd be considering. A detroit or other mechanical locker MIGHT bolt right in (not sure if it'd take a U/STD/HD style though). As for ARB, which I want...no progress yet. I need the vehicle for the summer to tow and camp, so I haven't been able to make the measurements I need to. Are you planning on replacing the carrier in your's? Regearing? Willing to make some measurements if you open it up? I have a worksheet from ARB with specific dimensions they need to help answer that question...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't need to regear, and it already has a limited slip. Being that I'm not completely loaded with money at the moment, I'm going to run that for a while. I will be opening it up for inspection though, so if there's anything you need that I don't have to remove the carrier for, I'd be more than happy to measure or obtain part numbers from. I know that kind of limits the amount of info that I can gather, but let me know if that helps any.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts