Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally started to put in a V6 3rd up front with the right gears and put the Longs in. Things were going (somewhat:rolleyes: ) smooth, and I had the long side all put together, started working on the short side and the frikkin birf won't go onto the inner:mad:

After messing with it for over an hour, I'm ready to roll it all down a hill:nuke: Why the hell can't I get the birf on? The other side was easy. I'm running "martacks" so I put the inner in first, then slid the birf into the knuckle, and pushed it against the inner. I turned the pinion flange until I could feel the splines slightly contacting and wanting to turn, then tapped with a hammer. Turned the flange again to see if the splines were meshing, and nothing, so I hit it harder. Still nothing. Pulled the birf out and looked at it, tried to pull the inner out but it ain't moving. So I tried it again, and again for about an hour. Sometimes it would twist the race sideways, sometimes not.

So what the hell is going on???

Also, I have Land Cruiser vented rotors and IFS V6 calipers, and figured I'd put new Toyota pads on. But the rotor was twice as wide as I could get the pads apart. Had to put the old ones back on. Do I have to bleed the whole system and push the pistons back?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
check it out...
slide the birf onto the inner....just a little. then put the whole shabango in there. wish i could show ya..... i had the same prob.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't. Inner is stuck in the side gears. I hit it too hard with the hammer.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I had that happen.. had to bend the end of a screwdriver and use the notch on the inner axle for the clip to work that thing out. it was a pita

·
Registered
583 Posts
Your gonna have to get that inner out I think. I always put the inner in the birf before putting it into the axle. Good luck, whatever you do, it is going to require some patience.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've had an inner stuck in there to. I took a big screw diver down through the trunion bearing hole, put the tip in a grove on the end of the axle and hit the screw driver with a hammer till the inner poped out. But the axle was out of the truck so it wasn't that hard, with it on the truck it could be a bitch.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
if you have a ARB you could put a long something in the other end and push it out that way but becareful the ARB has a centerpin that you will have to go to one side or the other don't bang to hear BFH's and anger do not go together well:mad:

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Read my post in the toyota FAQ's called What everyone needs to know about Longfields. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110627&pagenumber=2
The inner is stuck on the Martack, shouldn't be that hard to get off. Install the Longfield on the inner outside of the rig. Sometimes they are hard to get on because of the heat treat. Don't hit on the end of the birf too hard, it is really soft and you will distort the end so the hub won't go on. Then you are really fu$ked.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, got the inner out. Desertoy, I have that post printed out and sitting next to the truck.

It looks like the inner got a little boogered up, and I bet the Long is, too. Time to go clean out all that fresh grease and file em down.

Thanks OOPS, I was too worried about the rest to even think about looking in the manual...But why would I need an FSM when I have all of you?:p

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
If you simply cant push the piston back into the caliper far enough, put the pad on the piston side in, but leave out the one on the outside of the caliper. The grab a pair of fatty channel locks, or better yet, a C clamp, and slowly push the piston back in. Leaving a pad in makes it easier to guide the piston in nice & straight so it doesn't bind up.

I've always left the bleeder closed. The fluid will simplyflow back up into the master cylinder. Just make the master isn't really over-filled afterwards.

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the inner out and cleaned it off. Stuck it in the vise and hit the splines with the angle grinder and 1/8" cutoff wheel, then cleaned it up with a file.

Splines on the Long looked fine, so I carefully put the Long on and lightly tapped with a hammer til I could see that it was on about a half inch. At this point I was comfortable using a little more force, and drove it down (still carefully) to the C clip. Had to retack the martacks cuz they wore down from the initial hammering.

Now all that's left is to try the brakes again. Thanks for the tip Evan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts