Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've struggled to find a good location on my crowded dash for mounting multiple switches, and I've finally come up with a good solution. What I need now is to figure out is how to make said bracket.

It's not a very complicated bracket but it does have some irregular cut-outs that I need, so it's not something that I can just drill out with a drill press. Where do I get a bracket like this made? Is there a specific machine shop I need to look for? I don't have much experience with this kind of fabrication in the US, so any help would be appreciated.

If anyone from the POR board wwho has access to high-end fabrication can help me out, I'd gladly
pay you instead of taking it to some random shop!

FWIW, The bracket will have a 90 degree bend and about 12 regular holes drilled into it, plus two sort of oval/squarish cutouts. I want it to be aluminum, best if it's 1/4" thick but I'll take 1/8". I also need it anodized or powdercoated black.

Depending on cost I may have a half dozen or maybe a dozen identical brackets made, I figure if they're a good solution on my Land Cruiser they might be a good solution on others.

Anyone out there want to take on this project? If not, where do you suggest I go to get this done?
What kind of machine shop should I look for?

Thanks in advance, this is really going to help me get a few projects going (rocklights, onboard air, relocating ARB switches).

Thanks in advance, folks!

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Aluminum is VERY easy material to work with. I would go to a good metal supplier and look at their collection of alluminum extrusions. Just find one that will work as a "blank" The round holes are easy to make. For the others, do a search on McMastercarr.com for "Rotary Deburring tools." This will show some samples of tools you can buy at most any tool supplier (northern tool or home depot even) that will go in a die grinder and work for cutting the odd shapes. It is not a remarkably fast way to do it, but if you are only doing one, it will work out well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can make this for you and also get them powder coated. You need to send me the information on what you want and I can let you know how much it will cost.

Tom

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I might be able to help you as well. email me your sketch if you want to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts