Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a trailer for a rock buggy i'm buying next week. Trouble is, Outside of tire to outside of tire on the buggy is 85" = 7' 1". Inside of tire to inside of tire is 54.5". (Running 16" wide TSL's).

How much tire is ok to hang off the sides of the trailer?

I found a 6.5' wide trailer with railings:

Can the railings usually be cut off without hindering the structural integrity of the trailer?

Or I found a stout trailer; 6' wide with no railings:

But this would have 6.5" of tire hanging off each side. (My tire measure are to the outside of the sidewall bulge, so there won't actually be 6.5" of tread hanging out) If i go this route, i can eventually extend the deck with some more steel. This one is the cheapest and has brakes and a winch.

What do you guys think? Please don't tell me to go buy a new 8'wide flatbed because I cant swing the cash right now, but will in the future. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
you can't cut that angle off that first trailer without boning up the trailer. It's structural on those angle iron jobbies most of the time.

I'd buy that red one, install some 6" wings where your tires sit and roll out.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Search for buggy hauler and you will see what you need. Not many out there second hand so hopefully you're handy with a welder and can turn a regular car hauler into one. Does that trailer have Dayton wheels? If so and if it's not a screaming deal I'd hold off for Budd style.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Even my full-width car hauler has 84" between the fenders.

The red trailer looks ok, if they're just plain old tube axles you could even widen them if you needed to.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
You need something like this-

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep was looking at some just like that new, but no way can i come up with $4k. Maybe next year i'll consider upgrading. I wound up buying the red one for $900. I talked to one of our welders at work about building some drive-over fenders. He thinks it ought to be pretty simple and not too expensive. The frame is 7"u-channel. It was built from a 56' mobile home that got cut up. I like how beefy it is, and the trailer brakes work well.

It does have tube axles, never considered extending them.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Yep was looking at some just like that new, but no way can i come up with $4k. Maybe next year i'll consider upgrading. I wound up buying the red one for $900. I talked to one of our welders at work about building some drive-over fenders. He thinks it ought to be pretty simple and not too expensive. The frame is 7"u-channel. It was built from a 56' mobile home that got cut up. I like how beefy it is, and the trailer brakes work well.

It does have tube axles, never considered extending them.

Thanks guys
What size/bolt pattern are the tires/wheels?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't measured, but believe them to be chevy 6 on 6.5". I would consider using wheel spacers to fit the buggy between them but then the trailer wouldn't fit through the gate into my backyard.

As it is right now, the gate opening is about 2" wider than the trailer. I also have the mailboxes right in front of the gate at the road. It is pretty tricky to get it in there.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Thats good it has a 6 lug pattern. When I posted before I was on my phone and couldnt tell if they were mobile home axles with 14.5" tires/wheels. Those things suck dick.

My advice, get some 16" wheels and put the heaviest rated tire you can fiind on them. Infact, I'd recommend running a 235/85/16 LT tire instead of a trailer tire. They'll take more abuse and last longer than most ST tires.

Do a google search on fold out fenders as well, makes it even easier to load than drive over fenders. You can also widen the trailer to 102".

For $900, you got a pretty decent start.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are mobile home axles and 14.5 rims and tires. I thought they were tube axles, but it was dark when i was looking at it. They have that funky bend at the ends. Chunky bastards tho. I plan to keep an eye out for 16" rims because our fleet of work trucks all run 10-ply 245/75R16, and they change them out well before they need to. Only problem is the tire height, but i'm not opposed to raising my hitch a bit.

Looking at various pictures of folding fender setups has sparked some ideas, thank you.

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Awww. That sucks.

The brakes are a bitch on those to service, if they're even serviceable.

Interested in a set of 8k lbs. 8 lug axles? :D I got a pair sitting in my shop that I have no use for. Should fit nicely under that trailer.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Assuming they are real trailer axles and not mobile home take offs (bolt on backing plates vs welded, under 102" vs over 102",etc) they probably have standard 1.25\1.75 bearings and so 6 or 8 lug hub/drums will bolt on. However you will quickly find that buying new parts will add $700 or more to your trailer by the time you swap bearings, drums, wheels, and tires, and lug nuts. 14.5's have been covered a lot. Search if you have questions about them. I have run them for years and still am, but will be swapping to 8 lug once I finish my truck and actually need to tow it long distances.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts