Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost my favourite Rapala lure four years ago... I've searched for a replacement since because it totally kicked ass.

I found some information @ Bass Pro Calgary today which has definitely helped...

Talking with a gal at the counter she said it looked like an old Swanee lure...

It's on the right, above the hoola popper frog. Mine was a Rapala that I bought around 20 years ago... it's not a rattler, it sunk and it had a very nice wobble action because of the flat nose.

Anyone know what the Rapala version was called?
Can't search for "vintage" anything... too vague

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn this one is close... it's a heddon but almost the exact same... mine was a lighter green

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
That Heddon you posted is a bayou boogie. Pico perch from pico lures, swimmin minnow from tackle industries also have similar shapes, but I don't really see sinking type lures from Rapala that look the same. The rippin rap line of lures looks close but but not that close.

I'll look in my books but I doubt it will be in there. The past 20 years is a little to new to be considered antique or vintage.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That Heddon you posted is a bayou boogie. Pico perch from pico lures, swimmin minnow from tackle industries also have similar shapes, but I don't really see sinking type lures from Rapala that look the same. The rippin rap line of lures looks close but but not that close.

I'll look in my books but I doubt it will be in there. The past 20 years is a little to new to be considered antique or vintage.
I found the name of the Heddon lure last night.. but thanks for the confirmation! :smokin:

I'll probably end up purchasing that lure as it's basically the same and the Rapala is obviously discontinued... I wonder if they got sued due to a similar design. Like I said, it works... I have NEVER caught anything on those stupid rattling lures! :shaking:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I guess you are 100% sure its a Rapala? It does look like a Swanee lure. Do you have a better picture? The Swanee has some eyes that seem unique. They might have even made some for Rapala? Also some of the frog colors on the Swanees look very similar to yours, though I didn't see an exact match on google images. The guys on the bassresource forum could probably tell you exactly what it is. I'm no expert, I'm just using google lol Here is a "VINTAGE ATLANTICS SWANEE MINNOW CRANK BAIT "

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nevermind the better picture. I forgot you lost it lol
:laughing:
Yea it was 100% Rapala, because I keep my lure boxes... call me weird but I keep those little lure boxes as they fit tight in my tackle box. That way my hooks don't get all tangled up when I put multiple lures in the same spot.

I only tossed the box last year because I had given up finding it hahaha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts