Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aawight, heres the situation.

I have an 87 S10 with 2.8L and an auto tranny. Engine was just rebuilt and it started up and ran through the break-in procedure.

Now it won't start. The lady that owns the truck would like to get it back when she comes off of maturnity leave, so I was going to get it and deliver it to her door. But it wouldn't start.

At first it tried, turned over a time or two, then nothing. No clicking relay, no nothing. The dome light comes on and doesn't dim when you turn the key.

I have changed the battery cables (both of them) and still get nothing. Checked the battery, it was at 9-10V, not the best but should have turned the motor over. Nothing at all.

Tried to bypass the relay with a screwdriver, got some sparks, but nothing else. So I am going to pull the starter and have it tested.

Is there anything else that I may be missing in my pissed off state of mind?

TIA

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Have you tried charging the battery. 9-10 volts is pretty low. A fully charged battery should be at 12.5 volts. It might just be a bad battry.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yeah 9-10 volts is less than a 10% charge. Possibly not enough for even the solenoid. I would still have the starter checked though.

Batteries can go quick to. I was driving my pops ranger(I hate ford) on a road trip. It ran for 4 hours strait with the alternator charging @14.4 the entire way. After stopping for gas I turned the key and heard the solenoid click once then nothing. Tried it a second time and not even a click.;

Charlo

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, at first it turned over, then nothing.

I put the charger set to start (50A) and didn't get a budge either.

I have two batteries on charge now and hopefully they'll be ready when I get time to work on the truck again. One battery is 6 years old, and the other < 1 year.

Ignition? Possibly. But I would think that when I jumped it, the starter should have turned. Shouldn't start because the ignition was not on, but should have engaged it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Your starter would be turning regardless of ignition problems, well, unless it's the ignition switch. You may want to check the switch itself or the adjustment if it's one of those mechanical ones.

If you get a new starter in there and it still doesn't work take a multimeter and stick a lead to a good ground then put the other on the power terminal on the starter. Should have 12 volts, if not ther fusible link is probably toast. If it does, hold it on the solenoid wire and have someone turn the switch to start, if it shows +12 then everything is good up to the starter. If it doesn't the wire from the switch to the starter is bad somewhere.

Basically just start at the starter and start tracing back. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn I hate work!!

Just got back to the truck again. Its more than the battery or starter. I don't have heater fan, wipers, turn signals, radio or most everything else.

I do have headlights and dome light.

Is there more than one fuse box (power distribution box) on these trucks? Or fusable links?

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Just put a new damn battery in there and start from there. How can you diagnose electrical issues with 9-10 volts in your power supply of a 12 volt system????????????

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Since the engine was rebuilt and reinstalled, did you check to see that the wires at the starer were routed correctly. There are about 3-4 fusible links near the solenoid that may have melted.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was driving it after the rebuild.

Anyways, thanks for the honest help, but I figured it out today.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a friend replace battery cables for me after it first died. Turns out that he did, but DIDN"T replace the wire going from the back of the alternator to the positive post on the battery.

My assumption is, trying to start it wore the battery down enough to keep it from starting. After initially messing around with it, I had him replace the cables while I was at work(he had time on his hands, ie no job) and after that is when I first posted, the truck was dead in the water.

So I took a test light and started at the fuse box. There were only 3 fuses with power while the ignition was on.

The few things that were suggested I had already tried, but before I pulled the starter, I was going to make damn sure I had to. So with trusty test light and multimeter and the whole uninterupted free day ahead of me, I went to work.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One last question

Can you replace the fuel sending unit without removing the tank? From what it looks like, it is not possible.

·
Registered
322 Posts
three choices on removing the feul sending unit

1. remove the bed of the truck
2. drop the tank
3. cut a hole in the bed right over the gas tank ( stupid idea )

oh and on that wire , it has a fusible link in it , or its suppose
to . but if you replaced it , your good to go.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Found out about the wire, when I found the old cable!! Cut wire off old cable and reused it.

Drop the tank it is. I think it'll be easiest of the options.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts