Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small driveshaft that I need to put u-joints in. The OD is 3/4" and it is solid round but I can machine any ID that I need. Needless to say, the u-joints are going to be miniscule. Where can I find said joints and weld-yokes? The only driveshaft shop in town is run by jackasses so I prefer not to go there.

J. J.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
What's it got to power?
If it's not critical I'd cut up a couple of mini van steering shafts. No specifics, but all late model stuff is u-joint, and all replaceable.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ddual drive on plasma table. I've got weak-ass motors that are unable to voercome any imperfection in the driveshaft. As a last-ditch I'l upgrade motors but I want to try some u-joints to take up the imperfections of the driveshaft before I drop a wad on motors. I'd rather not go through a junkyard. Just don't have the time and I need something that is going to center up naturally, not that I have to hack together with less than desireable results.

J. J.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
You can buy all the parts through any hot rod company,
Like this.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=76/home_id=82/mode=cat/cat76.htm

You can buy all the non-billet ones as well, they're actually not that expensive, should even be able to buy them from race car guys, bonus is that they all use 3/4" steering shafts in the circle cars.

Something like this would likely be perfect. Slip it on, and weldit up.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=292/category_id=198/home_id=82/mode=prod/prd292.htm

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
All of those looks liek they would work but sure are pricey! I don't pay that much for 1410 junk!

Philly, I need 2 joints, 4 yokes. I'd prefer if the yokes had an ID of 3/4" to slip over the OD of my solid shaft so that I don't have to do any machining. PM me with what ya got, I don't care if they're used so long as they still work. This is a very low-demand application if ya know what I mean. Thanks!

J. J.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
get in touch with www.unisteer.com Talk with Dave Batke tell him Josh Cagle sent you. I think the the shaft parts you need will be less than 25.00 . I hooked up Pro Precision that builds Polaris, Yamaha, etc, Tilt Steering kits with Unisteer. The kits come with u-joint ends and they are OEM. Unisteer builds these for Polaris and they are super nice to deal with. I have 1 here but I am using it on my buggy project. So needless to say I believe this will be what you are looking for and they will customize it for your application. They have a full machine shop.

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
Late 80's ford ranger 4cyl u joints are tiny..should be cheap enough check them out at your local vatozone....

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
Pretty sure my local Napa store stocks PTO parts, we rebuild a mechanical PTO winch drive pretty easily. Might wanna look into that (or you could probably find similar stuff at a tractor supply place).

Oh - look here too.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#universal-joints/=1iykhg

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I think 1" is about the smallest thing NAPA has. That setup from Surplus Center is the shizz

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys. Good stuff. I'll use this info for my steering on the new buggy as well.

Philly, got your PM. Don't make a special trip to your shop for me. I'm going to see what I can come up with at Motion Industries today as I want to get this thing up and running ASAP. If nothing happens locally I'll PM you back. Thanks again!

J. J.

·
Premium Member
11,119 Posts
Agreed. I think that's what I'll get if I end up buying new.

J. J.
That thing is friggin huge. :laughing:

Something tells me you're not going to be putting 1400 in-lbs through this thing. Your motors are gonna have a hell of a time just getting that up to speed.

I know the price is right...but that joint is probably larger than your motors. :D

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That thing is friggin huge. :laughing:

Something tells me you're not going to be putting 1400 in-lbs through this thing. Your motors are gonna have a hell of a time just getting that up to speed.

I know the price is right...but that joint is probably larger than your motors. :D
You're right. I saw something similar today at Grainger. Oh well.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before I even posted, but I just went to Lowe's and got some ratchet joints that I am going to weld on. Problem solved for $26. Thank ya'll.

J. J.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You're right. I saw something similar today at Grainger. Oh well.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before I even posted, but I just went to Lowe's and got some ratchet joints that I am going to weld on. Problem solved for $26. Thank ya'll.

J. J.
well there ya go, probably could have gone to harbor freight and done it for 6 :laughing:

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, those Kobalts are a rip off! That's the price you pay for having little time though. :)

J. J.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts