Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
popeye
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been having a little problem steering my 85 extra cab toy.

truck-look up
front axle- +6" diamond axle, non selectable EZ locker
rear axle- 88 wide rear, front range full float, detroit
15X10 2.5" bs wheels with 38.5 14.5 15 tsl sx
new power steering pump(with the restrictor plate drilled out 13/64th)
trail gear drilled taped box
TG hydro asst.

yes i have bled it over and over and over (my arms are dead)
i tried the cracking the hydro hose and only got fluid (every where)
i made sure the hoses were correct

now i have always had a hard time steering this truck, even in 2wd with the hubs unlocked. now i can steer in 2wd(so the mall is on :flipoff2: )on the trail i had to have my passenger help me steer at times (the granite slabs at the con) . i still can't get the truck to steer in 4wd (on the pavement to test it out).

what might i have missed? i noticed that my hy-steer arms have NO ackerman angle(or whatever it is called) they are just straight forward. could this be causing that much of a problem?

now i'm not saying that the vendor's products that i mentioned have any malfunctions, or bashing them. i know it is something though. what is wrong? my arms are starting to look like popeye's.

and please no "get a selectable locker" or "i can steer mine with my finger"(thats what i wish for :flipoff2: )

any thoughts?

mike

·
Premium Member
2,162 Posts
I'd think that the ackerman issue wouldn't really cause it to be physically harder to turn, just that it'd scrub more in turns than ideal ackerman settings.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Hmmmm, your setup is very close to mine, (except I have the stock housing and an ARB), and my steering is not "one finger", but the HA makes turning in the rocks at low tire PSI, much, much easier. Something is definately wrong.

Do you have a PS fluid cooler, or an enlarged reservoir? You could be running out of fluid, but that wouldn't explain everything.

Can you post up some pictures of your linkage, how the box is mounted and how the ram is orientated? That might help.

Doc

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
i've been having a little problem steering my 85 extra cab toy.

truck-look up
front axle- +6" diamond axle, non selectable EZ locker
rear axle- 88 wide rear, front range full float, detroit
15X10 2.5" bs wheels with 38.5 14.5 15 tsl sx
new power steering pump(with the restrictor plate drilled out 13/64th)
trail gear drilled taped box
TG hydro asst.

yes i have bled it over and over and over (my arms are dead)
i tried the cracking the hydro hose and only got fluid (every where)
i made sure the hoses were correct

now i have always had a hard time steering this truck, even in 2wd with the hubs unlocked. now i can steer in 2wd(so the mall is on :flipoff2: )on the trail i had to have my passenger help me steer at times (the granite slabs at the con) . i still can't get the truck to steer in 4wd (on the pavement to test it out).

what might i have missed? i noticed that my hy-steer arms have NO ackerman angle(or whatever it is called) they are just straight forward. could this be causing that much of a problem?

now i'm not saying that the vendor's products that i mentioned have any malfunctions, or bashing them. i know it is something though. what is wrong? my arms are starting to look like popeye's.

and please no "get a selectable locker" or "i can steer mine with my finger"(thats what i wish for :flipoff2: )

any thoughts?

mike
Did you bleed the steering box itself ?

The only other thing I can say is "get a selectable locker" or "i can steer mine with one finger":flipoff2:

Where did you get the new pump. When I was running the modified stock I always had some kind of issues. My fix, a PSC-TC pump, no issues and one-finger steering with the front end locked up.

·
popeye
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm, your setup is very close to mine, (except I have the stock housing and an ARB), and my steering is not "one finger", but the HA makes turning in the rocks at low tire PSI, much, much easier. Something is definately wrong.

Do you have a PS fluid cooler, or an enlarged reservoir? You could be running out of fluid, but that wouldn't explain everything.

Can you post up some pictures of your linkage, how the box is mounted and how the ram is orientated? That might help.

Doc
will do to morrow. i havn't enlarged the res yet,(i know i need to) but it hasn't seen more than a test drive in 4wd on the pavement. i still need help from a passenger. when i try to turn it trys to roll the body. it seems like the drag link is pushing the truck. when i talked to a coulple of people with hydro asst, they all said when they unbolted the ram from the tie rod, the ram only moved at the end of the steering box stroke. is this normal? this is what mine does.

mike

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,738 Posts
they all said when they unbolted the ram from the tie rod, the ram only moved at the end of the steering box stroke. is this normal? this is what mine does.mike
Freaked you out huh? Mine does the same thing.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
I got a "bad" new pump right after i put my assist on. I'd check the pressure on the pump, or just exchage it for a new one. GM pumps put out more pressure too. Everyone i know that runs assist adapts a GM pump to their vehicle.

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
methinks you need to talk to them.

Have you done any research on how hard it is to drill and tap a Toyota steering box? I didn't think so. Seriously it's not rocket science, and you don't need anything other than a hand drill and a tap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you verified the Knuckle bearing preloads and also checked for binding in the bearings when you turn the wheel assembly. Think about it, when the steering is disco'd your box turns freely so that is not an issue. and you stated that the truck was always hard to steer. May be an existing mechanical issue with the knuckle preload or those bearings in the knuckle they could be too tight or comming apart. Easy to check preload with a fish scale as the FSM indicates. Good luck and let us all know if you find the fix.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also when was the last time that you serviced the birfields. Since the birfield needs to rotate and turn there could be issues there in 4wd drive since you say that its easier in 2wd. Could be that the birfield is allowing unidirectional movement but when you add the rotation to it it binds. Try the test on the knuckle bearings withthe truck in 2wd and then in 4wd for comparison and if when the wheel is static and not turning versus rotating while turning that should isolate the location of the trouble.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
what mytoy just said. I'd check all the bearings, it could be that one or 2 of them blew up and that'll definitely mess things up. Check uppers and lowers. I had an upper bearing grenade on me, but it actually made the steering looser, but if enough of the metal goes everywhere it'll bind it up.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
you had problems before the axle swap too? or just the problems with the diamond, but without the hydro assist. if you had problems in 2wd with hubs unlocked, you started with bad parts before you even put the h/a on.

try a different modded pump yet?

·
popeye
5,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also when was the last time that you serviced the birfields. Since the birfield needs to rotate and turn there could be issues there in 4wd drive since you say that its easier in 2wd. Could be that the birfield is allowing unidirectional movement but when you add the rotation to it it binds. Try the test on the knuckle bearings withthe truck in 2wd and then in 4wd for comparison and if when the wheel is static and not turning versus rotating while turning that should isolate the location of the trouble.
in 4wd with the tires off the ground it turns easily.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts