Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need your input good or bad with my bender mount. This sucker is extremely heavy! It took all I had to prop it up and angle it into the reciever on the truck. It seems to hold pretty well but the problem I have is it wobbles and settles to rest uneven as you can see in the pics. The only thing I can think of is to mount a trailer stand to raise and lower it, but then its another 25 pounds havier and that sucker has to weigh a good 150 pounds allready! :eek: Any ideas?

Thanks! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like you have lot of leverage going on there. What you could try is drilling and tapping a hole in the reciever hitch, screw in a bolt to pintch out the slop. I would only do this if you arnt worried about the integrity of the reciever hitch. What I have done is mount it to my engine stand, then I made a long kinda kick lever (just a long tube that I rest my foot agianst to cancel out the forces). With this set up its easily movable (cause its on wheels), and I can bend 1.5 dom no prob.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am not really worried about leverage cause it held up really well when I tried it out (its very thick stuff) I dont want to drill and tap the hitch (allready thought of that) cause I want to be able to use a different vehicle if that ones being used for something else. Thanks for the reply though

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Mistake #1
Don't try to stick the thing in the receiver fully assembled.....too heavy.

Mistake #2
You did not make it high enough to clear the bed. DOH!!!!!!!!

Like mentioned above, just make an kick stand to support it where the 90* angle is.

I take my bender apart whenever I am done using it. It is a lot lighter this way.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric said:
Mistake #1
Don't try to stick the thing in the receiver fully assembled.....too heavy.

Mistake #2
You did not make it high enough to clear the bed. DOH!!!!!!!!

Like mentioned above, just make an kick stand to support it where the 90* angle is.

I take my bender apart whenever I am done using it. It is a lot lighter this way.
Yeah I guess but I dont really want to take the thing apart every time I use it!
I will more than likley be using the setup on a truck with a flatbed so it will clear this truck was just closer at the time. I also didnt want the bender to be so high I couldnt get leverage on it. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I think maybe I figured out a way to fix it think this will work?
I will fab up this kind of a thing on the heavy end to roll around on

Then on the same side oposite the hitch part I will attach a trailer tounge jack. :confused:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
hotcowboy76 said:
Yeah I guess but I dont really want to take the thing apart every time I use it!
I just pull the pins and remove the parts that aren't bolted to the box tube. It takes about 30 seconds to assemble the bender.

Yes, the bender gets kind of high when it is on a lifted truck (about chest high for mine).

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Here's my bender stand.

It fits in the receiver hitch on my F250, and my older F150.

To use it, you lower the rear gate down. This also gives you a work area.

The stand then goes into the hitch receiver, and then you pin it in place. Next, you bolt the bender on it with the ratchet towards the passenger side of the truck. The die will be on the driver's side of the truck. Once you've placed the die, you can level it with wood blocks and turning the sets at the three feet. Note - it doesn't stay level once you start using it. However, the three feet do help keep it close.

To use you slide the tube straight into the die, and over the bed of the truck. The tube will be straight onto the truck bed. You then bend the tube towards the drivers side of the truck.

This setup allows bends up to +120 degrees or more. I have done 180 degree bends with it, but the tube was short to be bent.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
hotcowboy76 said:
Any ideas?

Turn the bender 180 degrees, so the ratchet is on the passenger side of the truck. That way, the bent tube sticks out past the end of the truck, not into the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K2Orion said:
what about putting your floor jack under it to support it?
Naw this thing is solid didnt even flex with two guys together weighing about 300+ pounds.

Oh wait that may be an idea I kinda wanted a more perminate fix but that could work.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
ok take the wheels idea you posted, and the trailer jack idea, combine them with a 2 link setup right under the 90 degree. That way you can rasie and lower it as needed and when you want to move it, just undo the hitch pin and roll it away.

follow me?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I guess you want to be able to haul it around. but mine is just mounted on a platform that is bolted to my driveway. when Im not using it I unbolt it balance it on the platform and slide it into the garage. mines the same bender you got and it is kinda like dragging the titanic.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jays68yak said:
ok take the wheels idea you posted, and the trailer jack idea, combine them with a 2 link setup right under the 90 degree. That way you can rasie and lower it as needed and when you want to move it, just undo the hitch pin and roll it away.

follow me?
Yup I think that is what I am going to try I will post pics when I get around to gettin it done!

·
Registered
213 Posts
A friend of mine dug a hole in his yard. Stuck a hollow piece of metal in it (I think it's a 4x4). Then he mounted the bender on a stand that fits very snug into the hole. Whenever he needs the bender, he just sticks it into the hole and is ready to go.

Make any sense? I'm sure a lot of peole do this, but he is the first one I know, and I liked the idea a lot.

I might add that the metal in the ground is just below the top of the grass, so he can mow over it no problem.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
hotcowboy76 said:
Yeah I like that idea too I just thought that building a hitch mounted one would be a little more mobile.
Ya its kinda hard to move the hole :laughing:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Ive been toying with the Idea of buying a hydro ram similiar to the one M-tec sells to push the bender, rather than wearing myself out when Im cage build'n. with the hydro ram the bender doesnt need a hard mount because it pushes of its own framework. That way you can just set it on a work table when you using it. and theres less to store away without the mounting stuff.

just an idea..

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rockreligious said:
Ive been toying with the Idea of buying a hydro ram similiar to the one M-tec sells to push the bender, rather than wearing myself out when Im cage build'n. with the hydro ram the bender doesnt need a hard mount because it pushes of its own framework. That way you can just set it on a work table when you using it. and theres less to store away without the mounting stuff.

just an idea..
Yeah thought about just goin that roue too but I'm too cheap to buy all the hydro crap I would need!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts