Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I put new pics up and have 2 new positions based on your suggestions of position 1. See my post below for update.

Origional post- most no longer applies:
Okay I am to the point of my frame up build up of my flatfender where I need to do the steering. I am having trouble fitting the steering box to my liking. It is a saginaw "76" box with 4 bolts. I am using a pitman arm from a 70's or 80's J10 truck. Also have high steering. I have pictures of 2 different options. 1st one fits better but it seems too low to me. the box is below the frame but not much. The drag link would practically be parallel with the tie rod, I know that is good but I still think it is too low. 2nd option the box is slightly higher and 1 bolt would go through the frame but when the suspension is compressed, the drag link would hit the tie rod. Is there a shorter flat pitman arm I could use? Mine is about 7" to the center of the holes. I can move the axle back 1" by removing the offset plate but I would rather keep my wheelbase as is. 3rd option would be someone could donate an orbital valve to me :D Pictures are here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/brian4x4/steering/
Some of the pics are not that great quality, others are better.

Where ever it fits, I will be building a steering box skid plate and I am also planning on tapping the front and top caps for hydro assist steering so I will have to have room for hydraulic fittings. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for that link. I searched and that one didnt come up, it has some good info. H8 basically said to put it wherever it works best up or down and forward or backward. I think I will put it approx. where position 1 shows. All 4 bolts will be below the frame so I will use 3/8 plate with gussets to mount it. Drag link will be almost parallel with the tie rod, which should be good.

Any more opinions or does anyone see anything wrong with the box being in position 1 in my pics? thanks.

·
Team *******
786 Posts
I'm with position 1 but i also thing you should try to move it up just a bit more.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay I messed around with it more today with the position 1 everyone suggested. It wont work by cutting the bumper to raise it up any so I came up with 2 possible places based on your suggestions. 1 or 2. Pictures are in the link in my first post or just go HERE I can raise it up a 1/4" more at least for position 1. I think I will put it in position 1 but the steering shaft angle is going to be screwey. Going to have to use a couple of u-joints for it but I will figure that out later. Opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Pic 1a looked pretty good to me. The higher the better as far as keeping it out of harms way. It isn't very hard to find a pitman arm that will drop the draglink back down if you really care about that. I would just worry about hitting the bottom of the sector shaft on a rock becaue you will be amased how fast that PS fluid will come out of there if you hit that just right. Once it is in there spend a little time making a guard for that since it is out there in harms way no matter ho high it is. Also. Is that 1/4 you are useing to mount the box to the frame with:(

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
66CJdean said:
Is that 1/4 you are useing to mount the box to the frame with:(
Yeah, it is 1/4" but it is plywood :D Its just to get a template made up so I know what I have to do. I am planning on 3/8 steel with 2 3/8 thick gussets to the frame. Also the white drag link is PVC pipe. Booty fab at its finest. Those 2 things are there just to give me an idea of what it will look like and check any interferances before I cut and weld any metal for it. Position 1a/b looked good to me also, I will probably go with that one but move it up a 1/4". Thanks for the help.

·
Team *******
786 Posts
definately the position 1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.