Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my 2.5L is messed up something serious...im getting the common blow by, but the place that changed my oil didnt put the plug in all the way and all my oil leaked out...i have a ticking comming from the valve cover...i used some CD2 and it quieted it down. Im getting a blueish whitish smoke comming from the exhaust and im getting missing in the lower rpms under 2000...i replaced the ignition, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, and plug wires...but its still doing it. Im getting a code 17 wich is engine running too cool...i have a 160* t -stat in it, how can i make it run warmer without swapping t-stats...drain the radiator and use mostly aintifreeze?

Someone help me fix it or at least tell me what it could be...i replaced the fuel filter not too long ago, the fuel pump has good pressure and i cleaned the in tank filter when i changed the out of tank filter

also i checked all the vacuum lines and cleaned all the fittings and im still getting high rpm idleing its goes to 1500 when its firsy started and it drops to 1000 after a while, but it fluxuates sometimes it will idle at 800 sometimes 1500 sometimes 1000, i even replaced that breather thing on top of the valve cover that looks like a pcv valve

TIA

·
Registered
274 Posts
I could be wrong but it sounds like youv'e got either a flat lobe on the cam, or possibly a lifter that's gone bad. If you have hydraulic lifters which I feel it's safe to assume, then when the oil leaked out you may have destoryed one or more of them. You should also check you're pushrods and upper valvetrain. I had a similar problem with a small bolck Chevy and it turned out to be the lifters. Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
You're smoke and power loss is from what you said first. No oil in the engine. You may not have enough compression left to make torque in the bottem end. Its done. New engine time. Almost a newbie question or it is.

·
Registered
417 Posts
In my experience a variation in idle is normally caused by a vacuum leak. A big enough leak will cause the map to screw up and you will have very little power at low revs. As for the smoke, have you made sure it isn't antifreeze being burned. You can do a simple hydrocarbons in the coolant test for the head gasket. Burning antifreeze can also crap out a 02 sensor.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Sounds like the oil change shop owes you a new motor or the cash equivalent of a factory long block.

·
Registered
626 Posts
been there done that !!!!

Hi there.
Your distribution is dead and your engine mostly, I got some more life from mine wih PROLONG additive but you have a worst case.
GO TO THE OIL GUYS and file a claim.... you will need a new engine soon and if you keep running the engine like that it will get VERY hot ( which I am sure i is runnin ho already) and you will develop a crack un the crankcase (which i did)......

GET THOSE GUYS BY HE BALLS NOW

Eduardo:flipoff2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts