Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought this a month ago. just started doing this.
it literally runs perfect for 5-10 minutes then its like a switch gets flipped and starts missing and idle drops where it will barely run or dies, but, will perk up and run perfect with tiny shots of carb cleaner like the fuel is getting cut down or if i manually raise the rpms.
--we have replaced the coolant temp sender, tune up parts, and cleaned the COR connections, no help,
also pulled codes and got code for o2 sensor, and TPS. now i do have a header leak, but its been there a long time, and not sure if the tps code is relavant or from me and the carb cleaner.

·
Registered
1982 Jeep DJ5 LQ9 V8
53 Posts
Might be something with ether the emissions system, or something with the parts that control your idle after the car engine warms up.
If it runs fine cold, but then runs like shit after the motor reaches running temp it points to ether of those two systems, as they both have parts that adjust fuel and/or air based on what they see as the running condition of the motor.

Iv owned a few Toyotas with the 22re and the 5vz motors, and they both suffer from these annoying running issues. They have kind of over complicated systems of electrical and vacuum hoses running a lot of stuff that will f with reliability.

These kinds of issues are almost impossible to diagnose over the phone or internet. Check both those systems front to back for leaks and electrical issues. Maybe there is a PCR valve or something like it thats broken or another sensor thats bad. Sorry I cant help more.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Literally went through this same thing with mine. In my case it was multiple things causing it. Keep in mind there are only a handful of codes the ECM can throw. It is not smart enough to tell you were to start. This means you pretty much have to test everything.

1. Check valve adjustment (ENGINE HOT)
  2. Use a torque wrench when installing the valve cover (Over tightening the V/C bolts can and will change the valve adjustment)
  3. Carefully follow the manual on TPS adjustment. It is critical
  4. Check the idle validation switch within the TPS
  5. Triple check the plumbing between the MAF and the T/B....then check it again. Its probably got a tear in it
  6. Check the return spring on the MAF
  7. Make sure the EGR isn't stuck open
  8. The 02 sensor code is setting because it cannot control the fuel trims and get the 02 to switch. OR the 02 is dead.
  9. Find and correct any vacuum leaks

I spent a lot of time digging into this. Mine runs perfect but it took patience for sure. Good luck!

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car

1 - 3 of 3 Posts