Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 YJ that is not starting. Every time I turn the key over it spins the starter but it sounds like the starter is not engaging with the flywheel. I have replaced the starter and solinoid but still not turning over. The teeth on the flywheel look OK from what I can see. The Jeep has always had a loud start to it since I have owned it but here lately it has gotten louder and sounds like metal to metal grinding and would not start. Now I am getting the starter just spinning. What could be the problem? The Jeep runs just fine when roll started by popping clutch but no dice on turning key. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have pulled the starter several times and tested but it is perfect. I have replaced the starter, solenoid, electronic ignition control module, and shimmed the starter. I finally after shimming it got it to start twice but on the third time it sounded like the starter was just spinning with no metal grinding noise like every other time before. Removed the starter again and examined and tested looked good and tested out good. Replaced the starter with the shim again and she fired right up. I let her run just long enough to get the pipes warm and shut her off. Went to start again and now the grinding noise is back. Any clues????

·
Registered
2,467 Posts

Sounds like you have a bad starter and the bendix is not engaging.

You also need to move this to Newb!! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry I did not realize that this was a newbie question. I figured this was a pretty complicated fault to fix. I forgot all you pirate board members know it all and hate to be bothered by someone who has no knowledge on Jeeps just like everyone at one point!!!! Now I know why someone on another board posted "Have you posted your problem on Pirate?(gulp)". Besides if I wanted to ask a "newbie" I would not ask at all because they are as new to this as I am(Thanks for your suggestions Jeepkid). Sorry if I bothered anyone by posting this thread but it can be removed if there is a problem with it. I will find help at another board. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Veterans cruise the newbie forum to answer your questions. Read the rules before you step on your pecker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts