Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '79 swb power wagon with a good running 318, the problem is that when you shift it into drive(automatic) it won't move. If you gas on it pretty good it will move about a foot and then won't move any further. It has new tranny fluid and is full. Tranny or transfer problem? :confused: I just bought this thing and unfortunately know nothing about them. I'm going to be selling it and prefered it to run AND drive. It has been rolled over which is probably the problem. Any ideas?
318/auto/203 with about 3" lift. As is right now $500 or trade for good 35 " tires.
Any help or info to cure the problem is appreciated.
Matthew

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
check the parking brake :flipoff2:

Somebody else drove my RamCharger like a month ago, and set the parking brake (which I'd never touched). It backed up fine, and when I put it in drive it groaned *horribly* and took full throttle to barely move. Scared the SHIT out of me, I thought I'd toasted my trans (had just flushed some really really cooked fluid out of it).

If your rig rolled, maybe something in the rearend got bent and bound up? try pulling the driveshaft and see if it will spin the output. put the rear in the air and see if you can spin the axle. that's what I'd start with, and then you'll know if it's something bound up/ out of whack in the trans/t-case or in the rearend.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
If it has the 203 transfer case, you don't have lockouts on the front axle do you? If you do, they need to be locked in. I had a friend who had a k5 blazer that had lockouts and a 203 and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't move unless the hubs were locked.

·
Registered
954 Posts
My guess would be tranny. I had the same thing happen to my 79 TD. pull the tranny pan and see what's in there. My clutches came apart and had the same effect as you are describing.

When I pulled my tranny pan I also pulled the filter, and it was full of pieces of clutch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a 77 w200 with an auto and np203. I grenaded the frontend so I took the front driveshaft out and put the transfercase in hiloc. If the truck sat for long periods it would act like you describe. After trying to get the truck to move for awhile the transfer case would usually lock up with a bigbang. I think this had something to do with driving the truck in hiloc without a front drivetrain. Before I drove the truck around without the front end the transfer case always locked right up. Maybe something to do with the differential action in the transfer case?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info so far.
E-brake is not on.
it doesn't have lockouts.
the truck rolls, I pulled it on my carhauler but...
I had the tranny in neutral and it wouldn't roll till I put the transfer in neutral. Is this right? I've never messed with a 203 xfer either. I can see by the permatex that the prev. owner had been into the xfer recently( :confused: ) but don't know what he found.
Yes the kickdown is still hooked up.

Let me hear what you think.
Matthew

·
Registered
56 Posts
mondtster said:
If it has the 203 transfer case, you don't have lockouts on the front axle do you? If you do, they need to be locked in. I had a friend who had a k5 blazer that had lockouts and a 203 and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't move unless the hubs were locked.
I don't understand why lockouts on the front axle will not allow the rear axle to turn, isn't a 203 a full time case why wouldn't it turn the rear axle?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Bent and Twisted said:
I don't understand why lockouts on the front axle will not allow the rear axle to turn, isn't a 203 a full time case why wouldn't it turn the rear axle?

The 203 works like a differential does. when not in the lock mode, it will send power to whichever end has less traction, for example, if you take out a driveshaft, then it won't move cause it will spin the yoke with no shaft on it.

When you put it in lock mode, it is like flipping the switch on an ARB, it locks it up.

It would have to be in the lock mode for the rear to spin if the front has unlocked hubs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Trailduster79 said:
The 203 works like a differential does. when not in the lock mode, it will send power to whichever end has less traction, for example, if you take out a driveshaft, then it won't move cause it will spin the yoke with no shaft on it.

When you put it in lock mode, it is like flipping the switch on an ARB, it locks it up.

It would have to be in the lock mode for the rear to spin if the front has unlocked hubs.
I am sorry I am not familair with 203's, what do you mean by lock mode,I have only seen them with this gear pattern 4 low N 4 high? so correct me here if I am getting this wrong but a 203 is like a limited slip, until you lock the it up? sorry but I was interested in a 203 205 Gen 2 doubler

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Bent and Twisted said:
I am sorry I am not familair with 203's, what do you mean by lock mode,I have only seen them with this gear pattern 4 low N 4 high? so correct me here if I am getting this wrong but a 203 is like a limited slip, until you lock the it up? sorry but I was interested in a 203 205 Gen 2 doubler
NP203's have a pattern like Lo, Lo-Lock, N, Hi, Hi-Lock. They have what is called a "center differential". Whenever you are driving in Hi (which is what you would most likely do on the street), the 203 differentiates between the front and rear axle, whichever meets least resistance. When locked, the 203 effectively becomes like a regular t-case in 4wd, splitting the torque 50% for each axle.

The doubler uses the low range box of the 203 bolted to a NP205, to create a new tcase with 4 speeds...3.96:1(2x1.96, hence the "doubler"), 2:1(203 Lo), 1.96:1(205 Lo), and 1:1 direct. The doubler design does not use the 203's center diff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Davethorik said:
NP203's have a pattern like Lo, Lo-Lock, N, Hi, Hi-Lock. They have what is called a "center differential". Whenever you are driving in Hi (which is what you would most likely do on the street), the 203 differentiates between the front and rear axle, whichever meets least resistance. When locked, the 203 effectively becomes like a regular t-case in 4wd, splitting the torque 50% for each axle.

The doubler uses the low range box of the 203 bolted to a NP205, to create a new tcase with 4 speeds...3.96:1(2x1.96, hence the "doubler"), 2:1(203 Lo), 1.96:1(205 Lo), and 1:1 direct. The doubler design does not use the 203's center diff.
cool thanks for the info sorry for the hijack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts