ass on all levels and this is just one of them :D. Please include all
anecdotes or pictures to do so.

EDIT: I found that honda vs. cruiser that I told him about. This
should start the way.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183911

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
dont have pics but a customer of my old job rolled his BAD ASS fj40 black/ tan leather a/c p/s all the BLING BLING 3 or 4 times on a logging road in i think utah , a park ranger happened to be on the other side on the mountain and heard all the noise came over and helped him right it ( with the winch on HIS cruiser) all the glass was broken but the passanger side hard top glass.... so he used the high lift to "open" the winshield and duck taped the glass in and DROVE IT BACK TO TEXAS :eek: for us to fix i couldnt believe it drove when i saw it come in. i thought he did it down the street. try that in anything else

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Thomas,

DO you have a cage? Three point safety belts? You're already way ahead of most folks if you do, and use the belts!

My folks were a little more than paranoid with me and the Pro Rally Cars. I never fully explained what we did, but happened to be dropped off early one morning as my Dad spotted was was left of a RX2 on a trailer. Basically crushed around the cage pretty well. Driver and navigator were fine, I was working service. Dad figured out why I had the cage in my car, didn't question it much after that!

Irony is a stock cruiser is just plain tough, and slow enough that you really can not get in "over your head" like a HONDA with NOS. :)

My sons (oldest are 13) both want the Skyline powered 240SX... na, I think more of a FJ60 is what they want. Anyone have photo's of the FJ60 in Dallas that got hit by a SEMI? I kid you not, but the kid walked away from it!!! :eek:

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
buy one of those japanese off-road thrash fest movies that marv sells, sit yer old man down and press play on the vcr. done.

·
Registered
426 Posts
On a Southern Nevada Land Cruiser club run to Burro Wash, AZ in the mid-80s, I was following fellow club members when things went wrong. They were trailering a camping trailer (not the pop-up kind, a real trailer) and all of a sudden the trailer separated from the hitch at about 50 mph on US93 north of Kingman. The trailer must have still been attached with safety chains, because the trailer started whipping around from side to side as they were trying to slow down. For a few seconds I thought they would get it safely off the shoulder and into the bar ditch. But what happened is they started to go off the pavement right where one of those concrete box culverts went under the road. They dropped off into the wash about 6 or 7 feet and the FJ40 landed on its side. The trailer tongue was resting on the back rear corner of the Cruiser, the rest of the trailer was balancing on the concrete parapet of the box culvert. Neither of the two club members in the Cruiser was hurt. After the semi-truck size tow truck was able to safely remove the trailer (a couple of hours later), we tipped the FJ40 upright and they drove it out of the wash, back up on the highway, and the rest of the 50 miles to Kingman to his brother's house.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Old 4wds are unsafe

Theres no question old 4wds are unsafe. I drive one everyday though. In slow speed wrecks they fair very well because they are so rigid and there isnt much damage. In highspeed wrecks they arent so great. The interiors are all metal, glass is normally laminated but not saftey glass, steering wheels dont colape etc etc. Saftey has come a long way in 30 years. Having said that, I got nailed in my 68 Land rover by a semi and I drove the truck home and they towed the semi away because it couldnt steer and the rad was busted. The next day I took the same truck wheeling and rolled it on the trail . . . drove it home again. In fact I drove it daily for about 3 months after that before finally parting it out (now wishing I hadnt) In both accidents I was unhurt. A few years before that I swerved to miss somebody who crossed the centerline and hit a bridge, rolled twice down an embankment and dropped ten feet onto the roof in 6 feet of water upside down in a 1967 Land Rover. I swam away from that one, but was not badly hurt (tore my ear off, severed a tendon in my hand and broke my nose and kneecap) After my ear was sewn back on I felt better about the whole incident. I still think old trucks are unsafe, Im just lucky. Would I drive anything else? Hell no.:flipoff2:
-Regards
-Ike

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Re: Old 4wds are unsafe

Leafsprung said:
Theres no question old 4wds are unsafe....I got nailed in my 68 Land rover by a semi and I drove the truck home .. I took the same truck wheeling and rolled .. . . drove it home again...hit a bridge, rolled ... in a 1967 Land Rover....
-Regards
-Ike

Ike i think you need to stay away from rovers :rolleyes:

·
Registered
418 Posts
My own experinces is that I got into an acsident with a corolia andthe only damage was a golfball sized dent in the hood caused by the towbar folding back with the impact. A cupple weeks later I got sued for $5000:eek: in damages.:flipoff: She told the judge that she was compleatly in her lane and that i had swerved to miss her. When in fact I was compleatly in my lane and she swerved in front of me from the turn lane. :eek: she won cause she was older than me 16 at the time:flipoff: .

My brothe rolled his into a ditch with just a roll bar and no seetbelts on:eek: he got a broken colar bone but is still driveing the cruiser. if he would have been wearing his seetbelt he probly would have walked away. The passanger did waly away.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
goldenarrow said:
My own experinces is that I got into an acsident with a corolia andthe only damage was a golfball sized dent in the hood caused by the towbar folding back with the impact. A cupple weeks later I got sued for $5000:eek: in damages.:flipoff: She told the judge that she was compleatly in her lane and that i had swerved to miss her. When in fact I was compleatly in my lane and she swerved in front of me from the turn lane. :eek: she won cause she was older than me 16 at the time:flipoff: .

My brothe rolled his into a ditch with just a roll bar and no seetbelts on:eek: he got a broken colar bone but is still driveing the cruiser. if he would have been wearing his seetbelt he probly would have walked away. The passanger did waly away.
thats why i wait for the police to show up... and i take pics of the accident sight while the skid marks are still there :mad: FAWKIN LIARS :mad:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I hit a herd of deer going 60 mph and rolled my '74 FJ40 three times. I was wearing my seatbelt, and it had the stock roll bar.

The truck was totaled, not much was salvageable. I pretty much walked away. Scratches, and five staples in my scalp from a tire iron smacking me.

Two of my best friends were in an '86 mini truck (stock) and was hit head on by a commercial truck, and rear ended by a 3/4ton dodge towing some snow machines. Clay died on impact, Dave is lucky to be alive.

If I'm ever in another high speed accident in a Cruiser I will not hesitate. Pissed, yes. Alive and safe? Me and everyone else in the truck wearing a seatbelt.

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
kling-on said:

thats why i wait for the police to show up... and i take pics of the accident sight while the skid marks are still there :mad: FAWKIN LIARS :mad:
He did :eek: he just had us exchange info and then left.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
goldenarrow said:

He did :eek: he just had us exchange info and then left.:flipoff2:

... and i take pics of the accident sight while the skid marks are still there .....

if he did he would of won :flipoff2: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
GreenPig said:
I hit a herd of deer going 60 mph and rolled my '74 FJ40 three times. I was wearing my seatbelt, and it had the stock roll bar.

The truck was totaled, not much was salvageable. I pretty much walked away. Scratches, and five staples in my scalp from a tire iron smacking me.

Two of my best friends were in an '86 mini truck (stock) and was hit head on by a commercial truck, and rear ended by a 3/4ton dodge towing some snow machines. Clay died on impact, Dave is lucky to be alive.

If I'm ever in another high speed accident in a Cruiser I will not hesitate. Pissed, yes. Alive and safe? Me and everyone else in the truck wearing a seatbelt.
Hats off to that cruiser, sad to see the pic but glad you are ok. DAYUMMMM!!!!! jiMMy

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My 1983 BJ42 got smacked pretty good, took the front frame rails and turned them nearly 90%.

Some little punk in a mustang convertable came ripping up the shoulder of the road, the guy in the other lane made room and waved me through. I was making a left turn through oncoming traffic which was at a stop, there was only one lane.

Anyways the mustang was opened up like a pop can and that kid was damn lucky to be alive, gotta take my hat off to air bags.

The BJ only had a slight bend in the one fender and the front bumper was mangled along with the frame rails.

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
hit a herd of deer going 60 mph
Dang, in Texas most of our deer top out around 30 mph. :flipoff2:

Sorry the cruiser took a beating, glad you walked away OK.

Looked at a '72 FJ40 this past weekend. Very stock, 350 V8, and lots of rust. I keep thinking of picking up another FJ40 for wheeling, only problem was the rust on this one would seriously hurt in a roll over. Yep, full cage is a good idea.... but if you see SOME rust being visible... there is a lot more hiding. More rust = worse in accidents. :(

Humor on that cruiser... paint looked to be five years old. Previous owner had it for two years, mentioned the same was true of the owner before him (I suspect the Truck came to Texas in 1999 due to more recent plates). When the cruiser had been painted, someone just FILLED all the rust areas in with bondo, sanded them smooth and painted. :( At first glance it didn't look too bad, but the rust was in layers all the way through. Bondo and cheesecloth being the only thing holding the hunks still in. Ya, CCOT has the metal stampings for the replacement areas, but lots of work.... for the price just lots of work!

·
Registered
343 Posts
GreenPig said:

Glad you were OK, is that the cruiser that had been in your family since it was new. I think I remember you and your mom talking about it at the Pig Run.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
roundrocktom said:

Dang, in Texas most of our deer top out around 30 mph. :flipoff2:

Sorry the cruiser took a beating, glad you walked away OK.

Looked at a '72 FJ40 this past weekend. Very stock, 350 V8, and lots of rust. I keep thinking of picking up another FJ40 for wheeling, only problem was the rust on this one would seriously hurt in a roll over. Yep, full cage is a good idea.... but if you see SOME rust being visible... there is a lot more hiding. More rust = worse in accidents. :(

Humor on that cruiser... paint looked to be five years old. Previous owner had it for two years, mentioned the same was true of the owner before him (I suspect the Truck came to Texas in 1999 due to more recent plates). When the cruiser had been painted, someone just FILLED all the rust areas in with bondo, sanded them smooth and painted. :( At first glance it didn't look too bad, but the rust was in layers all the way through. Bondo and cheesecloth being the only thing holding the hunks still in. Ya, CCOT has the metal stampings for the replacement areas, but lots of work.... for the price just lots of work!

is that the red on in the auto trader ???

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
kling-on said:

is that the red on in the auto trader ???
Yes. He dropped the price from $4200 to $3500, but there is lots of rust to deal with. Steering needs a full rebuild. Everything I started looking at "needed work" basically a rusty FJ40 that hasn't had any maintance done to it in years. :(

If you want some photo's.... email me, and I'll send them tonight. Doesn't look bad in the "photo trader" picture, but it is NOT a central Texas Truck... more likely one from heavy salt areas, or spent time in the surf at Corpus Cristi. :(

Tom

1 - 20 of 22 Posts