Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had enough of my weak 10 bolt and am wanting to upgrade to 14 bolt SF or FF to run a spool or locker. My truck is a 1999 NBS 1/2 ton. Are there any 14 bolt SF or FF that will bolt right up without moving the spring perches? What years should I be looking for on Craigslist or junkyard? I read possibly 2500HD VMAX rear axle??

Also heard I can use my 10 bolt rear discs with the 14 bolt all I would need is spacers for them, anyone know who makes these spacers?

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
did you break the 10 bolt?

are you wanting to stay 6 lug?

all the fs chevys have the same spring perch dimensions.

I'd suggest finding a 6 lug sf 14 bolt from a 1500HD, 1500 crew cab w/ 6.0, or 2500 (non hd)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
did you break the 10 bolt?

are you wanting to stay 6 lug?

all the fs chevys have the same spring perch dimensions.

I'd suggest finding a 6 lug sf 14 bolt from a 1500HD, 1500 crew cab w/ 6.0, or 2500 (non hd)
so much wrong in what you said

88-98 had different spring perch widths then the 99-07's
the 1500HD was a 1500 crew cab and the same as a 2500LD and are all 8 lug

to the OP you can use a 6lug 4wd from a 88-98 1500 or 2500LD,move the spring perch's and find spacers or weld on new brake mounts to run your stock disk brakes
any water jet or laser cutter can make you new mounts
you also need a 4wd diff since they are wider then the 2wd ones

if you can find certain year Silverado SS or a late model Denali without Quadrasteer or VortecMAX trucks to get the 6lug disk brake 14b
those will bolt right in

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you 92 S Dime, yea I heard some of the newer ones will bolt right in but most likely I will find one from an OBS 1500 like you said. I am after the 6 lug preferably. I will run my same discs on it but do you know of a source where I can get the aluminum spacers from? I believe they are 2.25inch thick if I remember right?

Or else weld in my own? I have cutting torches and arc welder and dies/taps so I may just be able to fab (2) 1 1/8in spacers and stack them together then weld on? I'd prefer to just buy the nice aluminum ones if possible

Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thank you 92 S Dime, yea I heard some of the newer ones will bolt right in but most likely I will find one from an OBS 1500 like you said. I am after the 6 lug preferably. I will run my same discs on it but do you know of a source where I can get the aluminum spacers from? I believe they are 2.25inch thick if I remember right?

Or else weld in my own? I have cutting torches and arc welder and dies/taps so I may just be able to fab (2) 1 1/8in spacers and stack them together then weld on? I'd prefer to just buy the nice aluminum ones if possible.

Thanks
60mm is depth spacer you are looking for. cutthroat4x4.com has them for sale. A bit pricey, which is why I prefer to make my own flange and weld it on. That way you can rotate it so the disc brakes are properly oriented about the axle. OBS flanges run 'parallel' to the cast housing, whereas our NBS flanges are rotated. Another direct swap where you dont have to move the spring perches, bump stop pad, shock mounts, or brake backing flange is an NBS Crew Cab 6 lug 14 bolt. They came in a select few 2006-2007 1500's. car-part.com is your friend. Other option is van axles. Any of the GMC Savanna/Chevy Express vans that are labeled as SF are 6 lug. I think van axles are something like 70" WMS though. Are you a member on GMFS? All your answers are there.

·
Registered
500 Posts
you dont actually need the spacers if you want do do it cheap. after blowing up 3 10 bolts i did the swap. i did it to my 02 silverado rather easly. heres a pic and a few pointers from what i learned

first make sure the axle is from a 1500 hd 6 lug and not the 2500ld. the axle in the 2500 ld that is six lug is to narrower and your spring perches are to wide. if you run to inset of a wheel your rims will hit the leafs. so youll eather have to get 1.5-2 inch wheel spacer/adapters or find the right axle out of a 1500
second you dont really need the spacers for the caliper mount assembly. every mount on the axle needs to be cut off anyway. (spring perches are too narrow, shocks were on the wrong side of the tube, at least for my truck and mine had bottom out landing plates i no longer needed.) i just took my cut off wheel and die grinder and cut the welds off the existing plates. cleaned the tubes outside of them, and slid the existing mounts out. its a little more time consuming but to me it seemed a lot more solid than making a spacer. just make sure its perfectly square and that the caliiper and bracket is positioned where you want it before you burn it in.

third loosly mount it in your truck before you burn in the perch mounts. make sure you pinion angle and shock mounts ar right where you want um and burn it all in. i went the cheap way when i did it and bought the conversion joint for the drive shaft to make it work instead of replacing the yoke or driveshaft.
last make sure you replace all the bearings, seals and brakes while you have it apart. its completly disassembled before install so why not right.
also from my learnings and this may not be true everywhere but most of the sf 14 bolts around here from the 99+ vortec maxes, denalis ect had drum brakes in the rear.i think you will still have to move the brake mount on the axle or get a spacer. but the spring perches and shock mounts should be in the correct spot. but as i said i may be wrong.
hope that helps

·
Registered
0 Posts
you dont actually need the spacers if you want do do it cheap. after blowing up 3 10 bolts i did the swap. i did it to my 02 silverado rather easly. heres a pic and a few pointers from what i learned

first make sure the axle is from a 1500 hd 6 lug and not the 2500ld. the axle in the 2500 ld that is six lug is to narrower and your spring perches are to wide. if you run to inset of a wheel your rims will hit the leafs. so youll eather have to get 1.5-2 inch wheel spacer/adapters or find the right axle out of a 1500
second you dont really need the spacers for the caliper mount assembly. every mount on the axle needs to be cut off anyway. (spring perches are too narrow, shocks were on the wrong side of the tube, at least for my truck and mine had bottom out landing plates i no longer needed.) i just took my cut off wheel and die grinder and cut the welds off the existing plates. cleaned the tubes outside of them, and slid the existing mounts out. its a little more time consuming but to me it seemed a lot more solid than making a spacer. just make sure its perfectly square and that the caliiper and bracket is positioned where you want it before you burn it in.

third loosly mount it in your truck before you burn in the perch mounts. make sure you pinion angle and shock mounts ar right where you want um and burn it all in. i went the cheap way when i did it and bought the conversion joint for the drive shaft to make it work instead of replacing the yoke or driveshaft.
last make sure you replace all the bearings, seals and brakes while you have it apart. its completly disassembled before install so why not right.
also from my learnings and this may not be true everywhere but most of the sf 14 bolts around here from the 99+ vortec maxes, denalis ect had drum brakes in the rear.i think you will still have to move the brake mount on the axle or get a spacer. but the spring perches and shock mounts should be in the correct spot. but as i said i may be wrong.
hope that helps
What year truck was your rear end out of?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts