Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My TeraLow planetaries are eating themselves up. I have a 2002 TJ with a AX15 Manual transmission.

Don't have the $$ for an Atlas and thought a 241OR 4:1 would be a fairly easy swap. The problem is that the 241 input shaft is quite a bit shorter than the 231. The 231 is a different size and won't work in the 241.

No one makes a longer 241 shaft. Have called Advanced Adapters, JB Conversions and Novak with no luck.

I've read that other people have done this swap but it's unclear with which transmission, what year vehicle and what adaptions were made.

I'm thinking that this will not work unless I also swap the tranny...

Any other ideas??

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I'd also consider the root problem a bit more. If you are eating planets, you are running the case too fast in low range. I understand the rubi planets are much more robust, but the speed would be the same. You may want to consider a doubler, perhaps even a 231 doubler from dd machine. It would give you a stock low range and slightly lower overall low range.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wilson. I was not aware that I was revving the T-case too high. Tera Low's are known for having this issue. I have not heard of the RockTrack cases or Atlas' having this problem.

I do have the option of TeraFlex rebuilding the case and I may have to do that, but feel it will be only a matter of time before it goes out again. In short, a waste of $$. I'd rather find a more long term solution.

I know of a RockTrack case locally, but need to figure out how to make it work with my rig.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Thanks Wilson. I was not aware that I was revving the T-case too high. Tera Low's are known for having this issue. I have not heard of the RockTrack cases or Atlas' having this problem.

I do have the option of TeraFlex rebuilding the case and I may have to do that, but feel it will be only a matter of time before it goes out again. In short, a waste of $$. I'd rather find a more long term solution.

I know of a RockTrack case locally, but need to figure out how to make it work with my rig.
I have a couple friends who have done the same, but again they were trying to run 30 mph in the snow, which as you would know is about 5th gear pinned.

5k engine rpm / .79 ax15 OD x 4 = 25,316.46 rpm at the planets. I have a rubicon and have seen the planets (they are huge), but you may be exceeding the design parameters for the gears. An atlas does not use planetary gears, since you made the comparison.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I was not aware of the Doubler option, it is a suggestion I will keep in mind too!
Thanks
Dd machine and mad rooster make DIY kits, using stock 231 case halves, behemoth sells a billet housing that you can install the gears/shafts into, or you can buy a complete unit from northwest fab (black box), behemoth, or Klune V. Behemoth also sells a housing that will accept the rubi planets that you could bolt any 6 bolt round case to. I plan to bolt a ford 205 to one as my way around over-reving my planets.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas Wilson, I'll look into them. Unfortunately I am NOT a mechanic so what I end up with will have to be done in a shop.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I think that's what I will have to do. Just need to make sure it will all fit. Will be making some calls tomorrow to try and locate one.
thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm running a rubicon case in my TJ, behind an AX15. the input shaft is shorter, but it still seals. hardest part is making the trans mount clear the case since like has been said, the planetary is huge. i just spaced it up a bit. did that 6 or 7 years ago. zero issues with it. it doesn't care about rpms like the teralow does. it was built by an oem. they had to make it idiot proof. however, that doesn't mean i go around bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th gear. drive smart, and treat your parts right and they will last.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tbuff,
The concern with the shorter shaft was the limited/partial engagement on the input shaft. You haven't had any issues with that?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Why would you even want a longer output? Just get a longer drive shaft. You would prob end up with better angles anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts