Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am making my drag link today but I am running into some problems or it may be I just dont understand it. I have hi steer on a full width chevy axle and it is on a flatfender. the box is a siginaw 76. I am getting different measurements between L & R lock. With the box locked and axle locked I get these measurements:
Straight 33.75"
Right turn 33.75" 1.5-1.75 turns to center on wheel
Left turn 35.25" 1.125 turns to center on wheel

The average of these is 34.5" but using this as my drag link measurement results in -1/4 turn from left (axle locked but box not locked) and -1/2 turn from right (axle locked but box not locked) This reduces the turning to about 2.75 turns lock to lock.

I dont get it? Does the box need to be locked one way for the same way on the axle to be locked?? I am running a hydro ram with this if it matters. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Brian1 said:
I am making my drag link today but I am running into some problems or it may be I just dont understand it. I have hi steer on a full width chevy axle and it is on a flatfender. the box is a siginaw 76. I am getting different measurements between L & R lock. With the box locked and axle locked I get these measurements:
Straight 33.75"
Right turn 33.75" 1.5-1.75 turns to center on wheel
Left turn 35.25" 1.125 turns to center on wheel

The average of these is 34.5" but using this as my drag link measurement results in -1/4 turn from left and +1/2 turn from right (the box doesnt lock but the axle does) This reduces the turning to about 2.75 turns lock to lock.
Uhh... wow... I think you're really overthinking things here, but you're probably going to end up with a good result anyway.

My personal technique:
Center the axle (make sure the truck isn't tweeked to one side).
Center the knuckles (tires point straight ahead--gotta have toe set about right for this step)
Cycle the box lock to lock and count the turns. Cycle it half that many turns back--that's "box center" in theory.
Measure center to center from the pitman to the steering arm.
Make the drag link that length.
Adjust to taste during/after install.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Guess I am stupid and making things too complicated. 34" looks like the measurement i need but when turned to lock the box isnt locked. Guess that will be alright. also it is 1/4 more turn of the wheel one way to lock than the other is? I dont know why.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks scott, I was hoping you would see this post. I am making things too complicated but the box turns farther one way than it does the other lock to lock with my centered measurement. I guess that is what was confusing me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts