Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 78 2f in my 74 40 but the damn distributers are different. My old one is on points and has one wire leading into it amongst a coil and plug wires. But the 78 has two wires into it and from what i can see a magnetic pickup too. Can anybody break this down for me? electronix are difucalt 4 me.
Greg

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
40oz said:
I am putting a 78 2f in my 74 40 but the damn distributers are different. My old one is on points and has one wire leading into it amongst a coil and plug wires. But the 78 has two wires into it and from what i can see a magnetic pickup too. Can anybody break this down for me? electronix are difucalt 4 me.
Greg
Greg,

Do you have the ignitor module for the '78 Cruiser? You need it with the electronic distributor.

On the '74... it should be a "hybrid" setup that uses a points distributor to trigger an ignition module. The modules are not interchangeable.

After 25+ years, who knows if that is a stock setup in there or ???

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
You will need an electroninc ignition for that. The two wires coming out of the dist are for the mag pickup. MSD's work fairly well and can actually make your rig run better.

Make sure that you vent the cap to the inside of the cab. They are sealed. great for water crossings :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
F Distributor in 2F

A day for distributor! Forget all the new LC ignition stuff. Use the f distributor with a pertonix setup and flamethrower coil $125 both. No wire hassles, no ignitors, no points, no problems!!! Did years ago and never, never, never had problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts