Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 CJ5 w/ Chevy 327ci V8 conversion.

Been driving it for a while with no problems but it is starting to get hot up here 80*-100* during the day...

My temperature while cruising around town is 180*-190* but I noticed the other day at the lake that while I am waiting in line to drop the boat in the water (sometimes up to 15 minutes), that my temperature rises up to 200*-230*. I am not sure if that is a temperature to start worrying about or not - but the days are only going to get hotter so I would like to fix the problem before it is too late.

I think the problem is that I DO NOT HAVE A FAN SHROUD. The conversion was a custom deal and I never got around to putting one on. Never needed it until now (winter temps, the Jeep ran at 150*-170*).

I went to the junkyard today to see if I could find a fan shroud and they guy at the counter told me to just take an electric fan out of his bin - said it would be better to ditch the motor fan for an electric one because removing the motor driven fan would give me more HP and make the motor "snappier". Now I don't know if thats true or not (although NASCARs use electric so I guess there is some truth???)

Anyway after spending about 2 hrs looking for a fan that fit my exact radiator I gave up. ALL THE ELECTRIC FANS WERE 4.5-6.5 inches thick and as you can see from the picture, I only have 3.5" of room to the front of the pulley (without the motor driven fan installed).

Would I be better off with an electric fan, or should I just find a fan shroud that fits?

If an electric fan is the way to go - do I have to find one with a shroud that covers my whole radiator, or can I just find a fan that is about the same diameter as the motor driven fan without a shroud? (will it still cool the motor?)

Thanks for any help or fab ideas. I haven't ever tackled anything of this sort.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Ditch the mechanical fan, go to the junkyard and find a "pusher." That is a fan that is in front of the radiator and pushes air through. Or you could go to a store like Advance Auto and get one. The one I bought was reversible. You will want to wire it to a switched ignition source with a relay, or find a temp sending unit that is just on/off, (like for an idiot light) and wire it to that with a relay. When I rewire mine I will use a switched ign source for power, an on/off sending unit to kick it on, and an in cab switch to turn it on manually.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Agree with Urban Wheeler, I got my fans(2) off of ebay and got a generic wiring setup from pepboys with a temp probe so it did not run all the time. Also if you ever plan to go through water install a switch so you can turn off when doing water crossings and not tear things up.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Ford Taurus fan. Keeps my new Vortec 5700(they run hot) at 150 deg without a t-stat. :D Thats on the low setting.

Not bad for a $25 fan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts