Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1985 chevy Viking (c60) that i converted to 4wd. I am running a 1977-91 GM Dana 60 Kingpin in the front and GM dana 70 dually in the rear. I have tried calling numerous companies about what calipers that i should be running for this build.

a little info on the truck. it is cummins swapped, i do plan on towing a 30-40' 5th wheel with the truck. and I have a 1 1/4" bore master cylinder that i will be using.

so now where I am confused, I know that there are kits for both the kingpin d60 and the d70 that utilize single piston jb7 calipers.

My question is why wouldn't I want to go with a 2 piston caliper? and can i run wildwood calipers on front and rear?

i apologize for what may be a rhetorical question, i do not know much about brake setups, and like I said before I have reached out to many companies and it has left me confused AF....

it will not allow me to post pictures, so if you want to see pictures of the truck for reference please look at my instagram: 58_chevy_viking

Premium Member
Hydroboost...
Single piston will be fine, no need for Wilwood or wildwood as you say 馃槅 Do you need E-brake?
There are BBK's for the D60, depends on wheel diameter for clearance.
Edit yes you can run Wilwood front rear center or anywhere you like, you're building the truck. The choice is yours.
Edit2: Don't make up your braking system around one piece of the equation....the 1.25" master you say you "will be using"...it may not play nice with the other components you use. Just like you don't build an engine with "X" because your good friend gave it to you for free...often doesn't end well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
damn spellcheck on my computer. Thank you for your insight i agree with you on this. I wanted wilwood for the clean aesthetics, but i talked with lugnut4x4 and i think i am going to keep the jb7's i have on the rear and do jb7's on the front as well. and just stay with single piston..

Newb
I'm out of practice.... The JB7 is the 1/2 & 3/4 ton type caliper with a different piston size, right? If so, seems like small brakes for a big truck pulling a big trailer. I would think an application that big should be using the Dodge big caliper conversion on the D60 and maybe fab a way to put them on the D70 too.

Registered
Hydroboost...
Single piston will be fine, no need for Wilwood or wildwood as you say 馃槅 Do you need E-brake?
There are BBK's for the D60, depends on wheel diameter for clearance.
Edit yes you can run Wilwood front rear center or anywhere you like, you're building the truck. The choice is yours.
Edit2: Don't make up your braking system around one piece of the equation....the 1.25" master you say you "will be using"...it may not play nice with the other components you use. Just like you don't build an engine with "X" because your good friend gave it to you for free...often doesn't end well.
Are you sure that 1 piston will be enough?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts