Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a JKS adjustable front track bar that is mounted single shear. I will be pulling the track bar this weekend to rebuild the johhny joint on the frame side. Since these track bars are set up to be mounted single or double shear, I want to mount it double shear at the same time.

Anyone have any advice or comments on this? I'm not looking for how to do it, because I already know how to accomplish this task, but I just wanted to know if anyone has an opinion as to if this is a beneficial upgrade, or pointless. I'm not really sure of the benefits to a double shear setup beyond the fact that they are probably stronger.

Does it help with flex or anything like that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
it wont have any affect (positive of negative) on any front end articulation. what it will do is more than double the strength of the frame end mount.

IMO a track bar is the most important part of a steering set up...especially when it comes to safety for the road. mount it in double shear

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It WILL have a positive gain going double-shear with the use of a Johnny Joint besides the strength increase. The factory type single-shear setup where the bolt is vertical is not only weaker because of the single-shear, but also limits your articulation to 30* overall before it binds, whereas having the fastener horizontal you've got unlimited radial movement in the joint.

And because of the radial movement instead of angular movement you'll likely see reduced joint wear.

Now if you're doing some bastardized vertical fastener double-shear mount then this isn't the case.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get some pics up this weekend of what i end up doing. I'm hearing the only thing I will need to watch out for is clearance issues with the diff, swaybar link on the driver side at full stuff. Probably gonna take some close measurments and mock a few things up tomorrow night and see if this is going to be an issue.

As of right now, the JKS track bar has a proper bend in it for the single shear mounting. I'm not sure that bend will be ok once swapped to a double shear. So I might have to cut off the joint, ratate it, and weld it back on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I ran the JKS adjustable track bar in single shear with 4" of lift for about 4 years until it failed. It didn't fail in shear, it failed when the internal snap ring and socket couldn't handle the load. It blew out the bushings on an obstacle when full flexed out. Luckily I was able to find the bushings in the rocks and put it back together. It blew apart once more on the way back to the trail head, but held together enough to make the 100mile trip home on the highway.

I bought a ballistic joint, cut of the Johnny joint and factory casting from the frame, and then made my own double shear mount. I don't think it improved or reduced flex, but it definitely improved my confidence in the mount.

This is the only pic I could find of the mount I made with the ballistic joint welded to the JKS trackbar. My plans were to use the mount when I went to tons, but it was not in the correct location; had to make a new one that was didn't hang as low and was about 1" forward to clear the D60.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts