Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3VZE - A340F - Runner
Okay, was driving to see a friend from New Orleans from Atlanta, 3.5 hours into the trip, I notice a blurry back window - blowback. I stopped immediately and looked under the truck while it was running and there was a steady leak, three or four drops per second. It wasn't transmission fluid, and it wasn't oil, it smelled like a combination of both. I shut it off, checked both dipsticks and engine was low, tranny was good. Poured two qts, topped it off and let it cool for an hour.

Cranked her up again, let it idle, no leak - motored down the highway again until the next exit where I pulled over again, maybe 2 miles down. Slow drip, but it could've been the residual of what was left from the undercarriage, and it was pretty heavily coated - back axle was dripping from the blowback.

Went down to the next exit. Drip is even slower. I thoroughly cleaned the back window - spotless - so it could also work as an indicator.

Drove several miles this time, 10-15. No drip and the back window stayed spotless. Drove all the way back to Atlanta (of course I turned around...)

Now that I'm back, it's not dripping at all, but I do get some suspect jerks from the shifting - I presume the torque convereter. But what would cause such a loss of fluid in a short spurt? then stop? It was plenty, like I said, the back axle was dripping from the blowback and the back gate and tailsection are all coated with oil/fluid.

It's probably staring me in the face, but I'm clueless right now...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Difficult to diagnose a leak when your entire drivetrain soaked in oil and covered in grime.

But try this, go buy a couple cans of engine shampoo and clean your entire drivetrain (top engine, bottom engine, transmission, xfer case, diffs). Check and adjust all fluid levels, especially diffs and xfer case (no dipstick), (maybe thats why the leak is intermittent, fluid already leaked out, go for a drive and check for leaks every now and then.

While its still up on axle stands (after shampooing), run the engine and put it in drive. Maybe even simulate a load by pressing the brakes lightly and applying the gas. Check for leaks. If still no leak, well, take it off the axle stands, go for a ride. You want to find the leak JUST as it starts, don't let it soak the drivetrain again or you're back where you started.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Do you have a tranny cooler and is the tranny temp light/sensor working? If the leak stopped I would suspect the trans overheated and maybe boiled up the dipstick tube. Worth lookin into possibly.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts