Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing this in a front Dana 44. I picked up the kit from JustDifferentals. Here is the kit that came from them, it included the ring and pinion.

The label 'Super shim kit' is labeled that way because when I called that is what it was what it was referred to as by Nitro Gear.

This kit comes with no directions or guidance on where to place the shim packs. When I initially called Nitro Gear they told me the shims with the lip are super shims, they are there to move the pinion up to match the ring gear. They said that these shims can go either under the rear bearing race or between the rear bearing and pinion gear, I'm assuming where the depth shims are. They also said that it can be split between the two locations.

When I called JustDifferentals they kept telling me that the shim with the lip go between carrier and carrier bearing.... Here is what I was told after email some of these pictures.

Dana 44 Big Pinion Kit, Thick 4.11 Std Rot., Nitro Ring & Pinion

Take a look at this link. I think the confusion your running into is placement of the shims. The supper shims for the for the carrier nothing to do with the pinion. The big pinion shims you have go between the race and the housing on the inner pinion bearing race.​

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell those will fit between the carrier and the carrier bearing and then go into the housing.

Here is my question...

Do these shims even belong on this pinion?

When I called Nitro Gear they could not provide me with what the inner diameter of the shims should be. I am trying to confirm I received the the proper kit, there are no part numbers on the box or the package.

Nitro Gear told me not to worry about the size of the shims. There is no effect on the side to side only height and once it's assembled they will stay in place.

Do I run it?
Do I eat the money and just order the Jana kit like I should of?
Has anyone actually installed one of these?

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
The shims with the lip are external carrier bearing shims. The pinion depth shims go under the inner pinion race in the housing. The other shims are for pinion preload.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

Here is the carrier bearings and kit I recieved, it's marked and has not been opened yet. It has two bearings and shims.

Which shim goes under the rear pinion bearing race? The shim from the super shim pack is within the inner diameter of the race, but at least doesn't interfere with the bearing.

The pinion head has to move up about a 1/4 inch from where it sits in the housing. With no shims and bearing installed the pinion sits on the housing. Which shims am I suppose to use?

Has anyone actually installed this kit? Any ideas? Is the slop with the shims normal and acceptable?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Please explain the "big pinion" part of the kit because from what I'm seeing it appears you have pretty standard D44 stuff, what's different from this kit or any other D44 kit?

So this is what I'm seeing, I'll try to explain the best I can based on your pictures.

The shim with the lip on it will be used for your carrier bearings. They will go on the outside of your carrier bearings, not between the inner race and the carrier. The lip is used to "hold" the rest of the shims in place while you put the carrier and shims in the housing, this is how you build your shim packs for the carrier adjustments.

From this, it sounds like you have 2 sets of larger shims that you're trying to figure out what to do with this, this part is too easy. One set will fit snuggly on the "lip" on your shim with the lip. The other set will not. This other set will be used behind the race of your large pinion bearing. FWIW, it's a really really really good idea to make a setup race for the purpose of adjusting pinion depth.

Also, what do you mean by "the pinion head has to move up 1/4"?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Please explain the "big pinion" part of the kit because from what I'm seeing it appears you have pretty standard D44 stuff, what's different from this kit or any other D44 kit?

So this is what I'm seeing, I'll try to explain the best I can based on your pictures.

The shim with the lip on it will be used for your carrier bearings. They will go on the outside of your carrier bearings, not between the inner race and the carrier. The lip is used to "hold" the rest of the shims in place while you put the carrier and shims in the housing, this is how you build your shim packs for the carrier adjustments.

From this, it sounds like you have 2 sets of larger shims that you're trying to figure out what to do with this, this part is too easy. One set will fit snuggly on the "lip" on your shim with the lip. The other set will not. This other set will be used behind the race of your large pinion bearing. FWIW, it's a really really really good idea to make a setup race for the purpose of adjusting pinion depth.

Also, what do you mean by "the pinion head has to move up 1/4"?
found this, looks like it does the same as the jantz kit

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles-tires-wheels/1386338-announcing-introduction-nitro-big-pinion-dana-44-kit.html

·
Registered
524 Posts
Now it's starting to make some sense. It's been over a year since I did a Jantz kit with the JK D44 into a standard D44. IIRC, there was a thicker shim that had to go behind the large pinion race. This being a different kit I would have no idea aside from what I posted above. It shouldn't be too bad to figure out if you've done gears before. If you haven't.....take it to a competent shop that can.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Now it's starting to make some sense. It's been over a year since I did a Jantz kit with the JK D44 into a standard D44. IIRC, there was a thicker shim that had to go behind the large pinion race. This being a different kit I would have no idea aside from what I posted above. It shouldn't be too bad to figure out if you've done gears before. If you haven't.....take it to a competent shop that can.
I was going to post yesterday, but since I have not touched this kit I did not. You are correct that the "top hat" shims are for the pinion bearings. Rock jocks use a similar shim since they run the same larger lower bearing both top and bottom. That would also account for the 1/4" in pinion depth that he is needing. I will be ordering one of these kits soon to swap into my rear rubi44.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

This is from Dana 44 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following if from Standard Dana 44 Ring Gear measures 8.5 inches (216 mm)
JK Dana 44 Ring Gear measures 8.9 inches (226 mm)

Pinion shaft diameter: 1.375" (most dana 44's) 1.625" (JK rear 8.9" dana )

The Dana Spicer Max momentary output torque FT-lbs

Low pinion Dana 44 30 spline............3460 [ft/lbs]
High pinion Dana 44 30 spline...........4170 [ft/lbs]
Low pinion rear 8.9" Dana 44 32 spline..5340 [ft/lbs]

So here is what I've done. I'm not comfortable using their shims. The pinion needs to move up, and either they do not include pinion shims, or they expect you to use these. I purchased shims from Ratech, kit 1108 X2. It's for a pinion with a diameter of 1.750, I'm comfortable with that.

Here's the picture.

My opinion of this kit, don't get it. There are no clear instructions on where the shims belong, and tech support is contradicting I bet either JK or dana 60 parts are used. Here is link that talk a little about it. He DID NOT use this kit but does mention the pinion bearing and race needed.

Just another LJ build - Page 153 - JeepForum.com.
Look at post #2285

Also there is NO compound to mark the gears anywhere in their kit. You will either need someone else's kit or order some online, dealership have it for shop only, if you want some it will take 4 days.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Also there is NO compound to mark the gears anywhere in their kit. You will either need someone else's kit or order some online, dealership have it for shop only, if you want some it will take 4 days.
What dealership are you going to? I've walked into four different GM dealerships and bought it right out of the parts counter.:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeep dealership. Talked to the parts guy. He went to the back came out said they only have it in shop supply but he could order it 5-6 days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts