Premium Member
695 Posts
Looks like an actuator off an old "C" band satellite dish
Not a bad idea at all

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Googled "trailer jack" and I see some that are similar, 15" travel etc.. Pretty neat idea.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
looks like that would be sweet to automate. JGSTURBO where you at. MOunt a damn servo drive on there, some sort of rotation encoder and rig it up where you put in a bend angle and it just goes...Way easier than hydro

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
That he got it from a junkyard for $8 makes it worth it. But looking at some of the prices for new I'd probably be looking at a ball screw to fabricate my own setup.

JGSTURBO where you at. MOunt a damn servo drive on there, some sort of rotation encoder and rig it up where you put in a bend angle and it just goes...
^^^ This. Or next SWAG offering perhaps?

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I like the manual trailer jack in a high LB rating....

Should be pretty easy to use it as is or take the handle off and put a servo drive of some sort on there and make it accurate.

·
Tubing Junky
600 Posts
I'm not thinking a 1000lbs is enough. The HF jack is 8ton? And it seems to be just enough to bend at a decent speed.
Somewhere on minibuggy.net I remember an RV jack bender...
Slow enough lead screw and the pipe threader I can see this happening.
As far as servos or stepper motors, anything can be relay controlled with an encoder tube angle finder. One needs on that reads the stock as floating zero point then tracks on the tube in the shoe.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Looks they will make a jack in any spec Contact Us at Atwood Mobile

They have up to 20K stuff.

Wonder what the max OD on the jack could be and what the minimum travel needs to be. I dont have anything here to measure off of.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
also I am seeing lots with built in gear drives. Would be perfect. Not super fast depending on power source but being slow, it would be accurate.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
thought I'd bring this back up with an update. I put a trailer jack on my Jd2 bender, it works nicely! It bent some .120 wall 1.75" HREW using a cordless hand drill, one handed :D

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Now that is pretty dang slick. Mount up yourself some sort of permenant drill/pipe threader, and one of the harbor freight momentary foot switches, and you have an awesome quiet, electric hands free setup. Not having to deal with the hydraulics is pretty appealing!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts