Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
87 4runner sr5 22re wont start has spark fuel ignition sputters then dies then nothing replaced ecm/ecu question on side is cluster involved in starting will start and run on starting fluid

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just because the fuel pump is new does not mean the injectors are firing, or the fuel fiter isnt clogged, or the carburator doesnt need rebuilt, etc....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just because the fuel pump is new does not mean the injectors are firing, or the fuel fiter isnt clogged, or the carburator doesnt need rebuilt, etc....
It ran fine till i hit a bumpy dirt road engine has about 200 miles on a fresh rebuild injectors were updated and replaced the computer and filter is good hot wired the pump and its returning through the return at a good flow so guessing injector but any idea on how to check them new to this engine stuff and thanks for the info

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have no idea what toyota used for injectors 30 years ago. You need to verify that you have sufficient fuel pressure in the fuel rails or at the injector inlet if its a throttle body type injector. Thats the ony way you can verify that the fuel pressure regulator hasnt failed. Just yanking a return line and watching fuel dump out is not a valid test of anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is a little flap /gate in the mass air flow sensor….I had to manually hold it open while someone turns it over to get one to start after pulling flushing the tank new pump lines filters trying everything $pending weeks . So it’s free and worth a try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a long-shot... but it could be a short in the wiring to the fuel injectors. I'd say unplug the wires that go to the injectors (unplug the cold-start injector too) and check that each wire plug for the injectors is getting a signal when you crank the starter over. Years back, my 86 would sporadically run on 3 cylinders, then back to 4, and many times it would happen after hitting a bump (like you mentioned after driving on a dirt road above). After verifying that the injectors were good, my trucks issue was traced back to a short in one of the wires leading to one of the injectors. Again, this is a bit of a stretch, but since it sounds like your truck's wire harness has probably been moved around a bit with the recent removal, rebuild, & reinstall of the engine, I figured I'd mention it. Good Luck, and I hope you get your 87 running good again soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts