Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 1989 chevy today...it runs alittle choppy. i replaced the fuel filter the o2 sensor and its still running like crap. when i get it goin i will get out on the road and put my foot into it and it feels like its flooded and it almost goes no where then after i do that and go to a stop it will die most of the time. it had a crate 350 in it but i dont know to much bout it i just got it today. help me out.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Ahh... spend $15 and get a haynes manual, covers general troubleshooting and maintenance. Any engine codes? How about you do a tune up (check/replace the plugs/wires/cap and rotor/ and report back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Major tune up!

I have my 90 and I have records going all the way back to new services and so on. It all coincides with the exact mileage that everything was done. I am the 2nd owner. Its an amazing reference tool. The one thing I can pass along is the necessity to change that fuel filter too. Lots of crap happens when its plugged, from what appears to be Tranny problems to other crap. Allot of people forget. Major tune up though, Cat, hell lots of crap!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Mine did that, it was a dying fuel pump. :( If you have to drop the tank, do yourself a favor and cut an access hole in the floor. Chevy f**ked up when they didn't do that from the factory. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there any way to check it to be sure its the pump i had to drop it in my other truck and it was a pain...i just got the truck today...its an 89 sas with 44s n i got it for 3600 im not complaining

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check spark plugs, and wires. Might have a burnt wire take each of your plugs out and look at carbon build up, for oil, check the gap.. I had a similar prob on my 84, and it was just a bad spark wire

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have been told my countless amount of people that it could be my fuel pump...it idles perfect and i can get it up to 30 but it takes awhile...if i floor it will die when i go to a stop...when i rev it up in park tho it wont dont???

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ne one got a clue cmon i need this thing running within the next 2 weeks...when i floor it it also sounds like a miss fire i tryed to hook up a timing light to it but it wont work the timing light is good cause it works on my other truck....could it be electrical. if it is what could i do to fix it

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
ne one got a clue cmon i need this thing running within the next 2 weeks...when i floor it it also sounds like a miss fire i tryed to hook up a timing light to it but it wont work the timing light is good cause it works on my other truck....could it be electrical. if it is what could i do to fix it
youve been provided with a good basis of info... use it.

do the tune up. replace the fuel filter.

or get used to web wheeling.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You need to start by checking the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Hmm, now where did I put that haynes manual? hmmm....

·
Registered
543 Posts
10-13 psi put a vacuum gauge on it, maybe your cat is plugged up. You will not be able to check fuel pressure, there is no test port. Here is an idea, take it to someone who knows what the fawk they are doing. A diagnostic will cost you 100$ then you will know what it is you need to get your rig to the mall in the next week.:laughing:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
do you even fucking know me homo...no. it dont got a cat why is there dumb ppl on here cant ne one have start comments back?

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Dear Sir...

Do you know what FLAMING is?

gonna get hot around here..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya i know what flaming it...fag fuck big b is flaming...ur in oakridge isent that alil ways from albany...that where iam

1 - 20 of 32 Posts