1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was worth sharing.
Its a Toyota built Hemi motor.

1982-1985 is a 3.4 litre engine called a 4VEU
1986-1992 is a 3.8 litre engine called a 5VEU.

The first Toyoya Hemi was built in 1967 in a 4 door Toyota Crown.

I dont know the HP of these but they are cool.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Uhh..... we can't see the pictures that are on YOUR computer....you have to upload them to the internet...go home!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
ya can't link photos directly from your hard drive dude, you need to either get a red star so you can attach files or host them somewhere else online and link to them there.

A hemi is nothing special, most overhead cam japanese engines have hemispherical combustion chambers, have for a long time. It's only an "oooh, ahhhh," feature on lame ass domestic pushrod engines.

If thoes are the pics of the engine I'm thinking of, the all aluminum V8 Toyota put in limos 'n stuff, it would make for a unique swap!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
the 20R is a hemi :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Technically it was the idea of having the spark plug in the top center of the chamber. Not just the chaber itself.

My mom had a 1.8 liter Corolla in the early 80s.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My first car, a Toyota Carina, had a 2TG, 1600cc, dual over head cams, 40mm Makuni carbs, hemi, all factory, even the carbs. Awesome running motor.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
kyle_22r said:
the 20R is a hemi :D
20r is not hemi. the plug would have to be top center in the head, and the valves would have to be inline along with the intake ports and exhaust ports. read up on what makes a motor a hemi.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
OOP'S said:
The V-8 in the Tundra is a Hemi!!!
I thought it was a penta roof design.
4 valves per cylinder... Hemi's can't do that because of the shape of the combustion chamber.

Back in the day, the 427 hemi was something to be reconed with.

With modern engines, electronic valve timing control, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, the Hemi's time has passed... LONG passed...

Now, if someone like Honda were to take the technology in their 16 valve Vtec motors, and apply that to a sizeable V8 (lets say a 5.7-6.0 liter version). THAT would be something SERIOUS to recon with.

It will be interesting to see how well the Nissan Titan/Armada motor holds up over time. This is a motor I am SERIOUSLY excited about.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
CaverInaCruiser said:
Bla Bla..............Back in the day, the 427 hemi was something to be reconed with.

With modern engines, electronic valve timing control, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, the Hemi's time has passed... LONG passed...

.Bla & a lil more Bla:DQUOTE]

:confused: why is it still used as the top motor in the fastest dragsters in the world instead of something else then? :p
simple question for you, why? don't get sidetracked with your answer now, these guys can spend anything they want to win, & they do spend a ton, so any advantage would be $ well spent, so why :evil:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, here ya go:
If HEMI engines have all these advantages, why aren't all engines using hemispherical heads? It's because there are even better configurations available today.

One thing that a hemispherical head will never have is four valves per cylinder. The valve angles would be so crazy that the head would be nearly impossible to design. Having only two valves per cylinder is not an issue in drag racing or NASCAR because racing engines are limited to two valves per cylinder in these categories. But on the street, four slightly smaller valves let an engine breathe easier than two large valves. Modern engines use a pentroof design to accommodate four valves.

Another reason most high-performance engines no longer use a HEMI design is the desire to create a smaller combustion chamber. Small chambers further reduce the heat lost during combustion, and also shorten the distance the flame front must travel during combustion. The compact pentroof design is helpful here, as well.
Thats from how stuff works
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi5.htm
I imagine forced induction probably makes this less of an issue though. Still, Dodge again made a good engine (as usual), but their big HEMI!!! hype is just an advertising tool. I'm sure they could have made just as much or more power with a multi-valve pentroof design, which is essentially just a modification of the hemi design to allow for muli-valving.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Adam F said:
Also Toyota made a 1.8L 3TC motor that was a hemi.
yea sweet little motor Ive put several in BAJA bugs over the years with kennedy adapters., sounds great with just a stinger too!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Is this the one you are talking about?

·
NERD
8,629 Posts
NOODLES said:
20r is not hemi. the plug would have to be top center in the head, and the valves would have to be inline along with the intake ports and exhaust ports. read up on what makes a motor a hemi.
20R and 22R are Hemis... :rolleyes:

Proof:

HEMISPHERICAL COMBUSTION CHAMBER-

What does Hemi Mean?VVVV right there VVVV
http://www.thehemi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155

TheHemi.com(link above) said:
The term HEMI references the hemispherical
combustion chambers in the engine's heads.
The chamber design puts the intake/exhaust
valves in-line, rather than side-by-side. This
allows for better flow of air through the head.
The spark plug in the center of the chamber
creates a better ignition of the fuel/air. Both
of these major aspects help make hemi-type
engines produce more efficiency and power.
Center....not the top :shaking:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts