Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the road with 600 miles behind me. In the last 400 miles the engine , while in cruise control has appeared to stop running for about 3 heartbeats and then continues as if nothing has happened. No codes are being thrown Diso I 1997, later vin, 93k miles. The problem started after a fill up, may be bad gas? I have topped the gas off about 150 miles ago and only had the problem once.
Any thoughts.
Thanks,
Old Bruce

·
Registered
418 Posts
Make an offering to Jambo quick, before he gets angry.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Was it raining by any chance?

I had something similar happen in the rain but not in cruise. I didn't use cruise often though, and this sounds like it might be something related to that.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
wait...your cruise control works?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, pretty amazing. But the wife's D2 doesn't.
I'm close to a dealer now so will pick up a VSS tomorrow. If I wasn't so far from home I'd just go with it, but I'm in Tulsa and need to be in South West Louisiana Monday night (after dove season opening). After 8 years in LR's I've never had to walk..........far:laughing: and at my advancing age , don't want to start now.
Chicken in hand.
Old Bruce

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chicken selection

Maybe we should discuss chicken selection. Road Island Red rooster is what I used, but being from the South I'm leary of those Yankee chickens.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'd have to say bruce should have a fine selection of proper Chickens, far better than those of us in the north or the west

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
bruce441, my 96 has done that since almost new - always while using cruise (well, when it used to work). It would do it maybe once every 6 months.

For a while, I tried to figure it out. Since nothing ever happened AFTER it did it, I just stopped worrying about it. Software glitch, probably...

·
Registered
418 Posts
It could have been one of those UFO temporary abductions. Did you experience any ringing in your ears?
-Jeff
[anal probe]It's not your ears I'd be worried about[/anal probe] :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fixed?

I picked up a new VSS from the dealer in Tulsa and after a brief learning experience on removing the old sensor, did remove it and it was in pieces, full of sand and sludge. Installed the new sensor that worked about 100 yards. I cleaned up the old sensor and super glued it back together. Put a drill on it and checked for a frequency output, checked OK. Checked resistance on the pickup and recorded 127 ohms. Hooked the old sensor to the wire connector at the transfer case and the spedo WORKED. The NEW sensor has infinity (open circuit) and no frequency.
I departed for South Louisiana Monday (9/1)7) drove 611 miles with no problem. Now to get a refund.
By the way fried chicken works the best. Popeye's. Spicy.
Old Bruce

1 - 16 of 16 Posts