Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'96 XJ w/ 186k miles here and I'm just starting to get a short hesitation to accelerate after say stopping at a stop light. It's only happening at like maybe one out of every 40 stops or so but it's getting frequent enough that I'm guessing it's gonna get worse over time.

Typical behavior for my XJ is to starting rolling forward by itself after I let off the brake, even before hitting the gas. It does that 100% of the time. What I'm seeing now though is that sometimes when I let off the brake it just sits there until I hit the gas. Most of the time it starts going soon as the gas pedal is pushed. But other times it will hesitate for a second and something will clink and it'll lurch a little as if it's just going into gear.

Sound familiar? Hope so.

Problem is it's not doing this often enough to show to a mechanic, but I know it's gonna have to be addressed at some point.

What does this sound like and how can I start investigating this?

·
Registered
663 Posts
If the rear drive shaft yoke is they type that does not get wetted by the t-case fluid, sometimes the spline grease dries out and causes a stick-slip type bump as you come to a stop then take off again. The dry type shaft typically has a rubber boot that clamps on one side to the driveshaft yoke and the other end to the t-case output shaft.

To re-grease it, remove the rear shaft, clean out any old grease inside the yoke with solvent and an old toothbrush. Re-lube it with a good quality moly based grease. GM dealers have a special lube for the driveshaft splines, might be worth pursuing as it will last longer than regular chassis grease.

GM TSB info:
A new grease, part # 19257121 (in Canada, 19257122), was recently released for lubrication of slip yoke splines to repair a condition of a bump feel or clunk noise at stop or from launch on the vehicles equipped with 4L60 Automatic Transmission (RPO M30) and 2WD. Please see Bulletin # 09-04-17-002C for details.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts